Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not an experienced sewer....<br>
I got some packs of Gerber prefolds as gifts and I was wondering if it would be possible to just cut out and hem/serge the sides of some to work as inserts/doublers, etc.????<br><br>
Anyone know if this would work or have advice on it?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I found this <a href="http://www.candleonthehill.net/diaperinserts/index.html" target="_blank">site</a> which references using bias tape...anyone know what kind is best to use and where I could purchase?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I haven't tried this and my baby isn't here yet, but I too have a ton of Gerber prefolds and plan to use them as pocket inserts. I was just going to use them whole, but cutting down a few is probably a good idea for when she is smaller. Any bias tape from the fabric store would work as long as it is wide enough to be sewn on easily. I'm sure hemming/ surging would work great too.<br>
Good luck!

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have a few that I have used as inserts for my pocket dipes I just fold them in third and stuff. I think that if you are going to cut them up serging or fold over and hem would work fine. I would serge over hem but use what you have. I don't have a serger so I tend to hem when I have something that really needs to be sergerd I "steal" my friend's serger for a day. HTH

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
Are they the all cotton ones or the ones with poly filling? If they are all cotton you could use them as doublers. I'd cut the center panel out and serge (or closely zig zag egdes) then use the outer panels together to make a doubler, raw sides serged.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Personally, since the outer thirds are so thin I'd just trifold them instead of going through all the work of trimming them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts