Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm beginning to doubt my dates. I was sure of the conception date (and I *am* sure we DTD on dh's bday) but now I'm wondering if we didn't conceive earlier in the month although I cannot for the life of me remember doing anything before dh's bday (which is March 23).<br><br>
How much difference would a week make anyway? My LMP was March 1, but it was also my first postpartum. It was a full period, and I was expecting a long cycle until I was breastfeeding alot less.<br><br>
It's just that I'm bigger than I think I should be, my uterus is up out of the pelvis and we had no trouble getting hb on doppler. She even asked if I had conceived in Feb and if we have any family incidence of twins.<br><br>
I was wanting to avoid the early u/s...if I'm going to have one I'd rather be able to tell the baby's sex. Midwife isn't pushing me for one, but if things are still not matching dates at next visit I'm sure she's going to suggest it.<br><br>
Christa

·
Registered
365 Posts
Don't know if you want to wait so long, but...<br><br>
We learned a midwifery "trick of the trade" is to schedule a prenatal at 20 weeks to confirm EDD if LMP is a question.<br><br>
If dates are correct at 20 weeks the uterus will be round and exactly the level of the umbilicus no matter if mom is carrying twins or the size of baby.<br><br>
If dates are off then it will be easy to tell at this time.<br><br>
And usually...<br><br>
At 16 weeks the uterus if halfway between the umblicius and pubic bone, and a tall oval.<br><br>
At 24 weeks it is several centimeters above the umbilicus a wide oval reaching all the way out to the illiac crest.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Christa, I showed very very early with Skye too- and got very big very quickly but slowed down later on. Basically, it seems to be the case that the more kids you have, the faster you show early on because your stomach muscles remember where to move to accomodate the bump.<br>
You will get a hb more easily if your uterus is already up. It doesn't mean your dates are wrong- and, being honest, what's the worst that can happen if your EDD is 2 weeks late?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I agree - you're better off having a later date! That way you won't have to worry about early induction and stuff. And maybe you are just measuring big - perhaps it's a bigger baby or it's because you've been through it before.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I measured 12 weeks at 6 with this one. Because I have had twins we did an ultrasound and it turns out it is just one. What the pp said about measuring bigger with subsequent babies is true for alot of moms. Go with what you think is best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts