Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here ever had a doula? I won't bother asking if they were worth having, because that is a given, but I've never looked into hiring one, so I don't know if we could afford one or not. From what I've heard fees can vary depending on where they are located. I'm in Los Angeles so that makes me a bit worried, lol! I would most likely just look into hiring a labor doula and not a post birth one. Can anyone give me an idea of how much it is to hire one and if insurance ever covers them?

·
Registered
11 Posts
In Philadelphia there is an organization that pays for your doula if you qualify and they help you find one etc. Try looking for that in your area. I haven't looked yet, but on other message boards I saw charges billed as "low cost" in the 300-500 range. Good luck!

·
Registered
112 Posts
If cost is a real issue you might be able to find one who is newer in her practice who might charge less. My doula charged 100-400 when she first started and was trying to gain experience. I imagine she'll be double this round but the cost is worth it to avoid a csection. I know she is the reason I managed my vbac.

·
Registered
15 Posts
In Philadelphia there is an organization that pays for your doula if you qualify and they help you find one etc. Try looking for that in your area. I haven't looked yet, but on other message boards I saw charges billed as "low cost" in the 300-500 range. Good luck!
I live in Philly and we had a doula for my first birth and she was around $500. A friend of mine's cost around $800. It's a bit of a blur now, but I think we paid in three installments. We got three prenatal visits to get to know each other, then the birth, and a postnatal follow up visit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live in Philly and we had a doula for my first birth and she was around $500. A friend of mine's cost around $800. It's a bit of a blur now, but I think we paid in three installments. We got three prenatal visits to get to know each other, then the birth, and a postnatal follow up visit.
How did you like her? I just moved to Chester County. Does she travel to this area? Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a doula with my last birth. She charged $600. We're in the DC metro area. Most labor/birth doulas around here charge $400-$800. And yes, she was worth it, I feel like I got better care from her than I did from the midwife. We hired a new midwife this time around, fyi.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a postpartum doula but looking to hire a birth doula for support during this pregnancy. I'm in Maryland outside of DC as well and the typical going rate here varies based on the doulas experience and how many pre and post natal visits you'd like to have. I've seen some as low as $500 and as high as $1000+

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I have heard PP doulas are really helpful!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts