Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi..
I was just wondering...if I am birthing in a birthing center with a midwife and supportive husband, how necesary is a doula ? I guess I am confused about the roles of midwife/doula. I thought part of the midwifes job is to help you out with encouragement, pain relief and support as well. Isnt that what a doula does ?

We have very little money and are trying to decide what is REALLY helpful and what we can live without..

How many of you were without a doula ? ~ Pixie

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
i think this depends on the role your midwife will play in the birth. i just attended a homebirth as a doula & the midwife was very hands off. she was in a different room for most of the labor & only came in to check on mom & dad & baby. i was definitely more of the support person, suggesting different positions, giving dad a break, offering encouraging words, massaging, etc. plus, when it came time to push, the midwife stood at the end of the bed while dad & i assisted mom in & out of positions & supported physically as well as emotionally.

i'm having a homebirth in a few months and (even though i'm not hiring a doula) my mom, sister & dear friend will be there as my womanly support.

i would ask your midwife about her "style" and what her opinions are about having another support person there. if she's very much hands on, then maybe no one else is needed.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I think it depends on whether or not you will get whichever midwife is on call. Most birth centers have a midwife on call and you get whoever that is, so you aren't getting the same continuity of care if shifts change.

Doula can be extremely helpful in supporting the mother and father and making sure that they know of all the options available to them. Many midwives are so hands off, doing only the clinical tasks required of them. You may not need this extra support, but I have only seen it benefit couples(especially first births). Maybe you could look into hiring a doula in training for a discount or even possibly for free.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
My midwife was very hands off at by birth center birth (which is how I wanted it, I probably would have punched someone who kept trying to talk to me and touch me) so I don't even know what a doula would have done... probably took a nap.

It depends on the type of person you are while laboring and how your midwife is. If you are the type of person who turns pain inword and doesn't like to be bothered when uncomfortable, and aren't a touchy-feely type... I don't think a doula would be of use to you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.