Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are going to be doing some renovations on our home and will need to move out for several months. The apartment we are moving to will have 3 bedrooms and a large kitchen/dining room/living room combo. I'm trying to make a plan for what exactly to take and how to configure everything. My kids are 3 and 1 and I'm going to be about 3-6 months pregnant with twins during the renovations!

I thought we would just take our beds, no dressers, we can just use the closet shelves for that. Then a couch, dining table, and I was thinking of taking the kids play table as the coffee table. Then they could sit there to play and it would take up less room.

As far as toys, I was thinking just a small amount that could fit in some cubbies. Keeping everything in the living/dining room to avoid going up and down the stairs all the time.

Does anyone have any other ideas for living in transition and keeping organized in a smaller space? Oh, and we will have access to the stuff in our home, I thought we could make weekly refresher runs to the house to change out clothes or toys.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I would still take some type of drawers/dresser, even if it was only one for the whole family. I think it would get pretty annoying to be putting socks/underwear/other small items up on a closet shelf.

Otherwise it sounds like you have some good ideas about keeping it simple.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree about taking one dresser for the small things, even if you all share it. It sounds like you have a good plan already, maybe you could try going through your day and listing the things you use most often?

As you have access to your home you'll be able to get things as you need them, I know when I lived with most of my things in boxes I was mostly frustrated about important papers, like birth certificates, etc as they weren't handy.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
for kitchen stuff, only take enough dishes and silverware for -one each- for pots/pans only take a fry pan, a saucepan, a big pot, a strainer, 1 knife, something to cut on, a whisk, 2 mixing bowls. You probably have a couple I can't live without items from the kitchen too so take them also

be careful and don't bring too much stuff over slowly, a box of toys here a couple items next week and a few more the next turns into lots of boxes that you will have to move back all at once, so be sure to take back to your real house everytime you go for a new load.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.