Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/heal.../detail.html#-

Quote:
A Colorado Springs family is part of one of the strangest cases in medical history.

Dr. Paul Grabb, a pediatric brain surgeon, said he discovered a small foot growing inside the brain of 3-day-old Sam Esquibel.

When Grabb performed the life-saving surgery at Memorial Hospital for Children in Colorado Springs, he was in for another surprise: he also found what appeared to be parts of an intestine in the folds of the infant's tiny brain, in addition to another developing foot, hand and thigh.
The photo is shocking! I had a dermoid tumor removed in May that was made up of hair, teeth, and even a bone, but this is way beyond that.

· Premium Member
4,203 Posts
Am I correct to assume that this does not result in long term consequences for the baby? I sure hope he/she will enjoy a healthy life ahead. How scary! I never knew this was possible. Human body is such a mystery at times...

· Registered
20,366 Posts
:

· Registered
1,660 Posts
Just adding something... I really respect the mother for refusing to get pictures taken in order to protect her child from becoming a victim of media onslaught that could affect the rest of his life. It is sad when any newborn is not in perfect health, I really feel for her having to watch him go through such intense surgery so very young and now pt... also hoping for a full recovery.

· Registered
1,594 Posts
Was this the result of a twin? The article didn't say for certain one way or another.

Really amazing, though! I hope the little one is unaffected.

· Registered
3,862 Posts
That's amazing! ANd I really respect the parents' for their decision not to have photos taken of the baby.

· Registered
1,760 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hibana View Post
Was this the result of a twin? The article didn't say for certain one way or another.

Really amazing, though! I hope the little one is unaffected.
I don't know, but it's kind of cool, though, and also hope the baby will not suffer any long term damage.

· Registered
2,413 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hibana View Post
I hope baby is OK, it sounds like he will be! That is what I was wondering, if it was a twin. There is a certain name for that, when one twin dies in the womb and then the other twin somehow 'absorbs' the first one, or the egg started out as a twin and then stopped...? It does say that here:

Quote:
or a fetus in fetu, which is a developmental abnormality in which a fetal twin begins to form within the other.

· Registered
45,796 Posts
I was also thinking that it's very likely these "random body parts" were pieces left from a twin that died in utero. That seems a lot more likely than "the human body is so great that it can produce any and all kinds of organs even when you're not an embryo anymore."

I wish that baby a fast and complete recovery. It must be scary to have a newborn that's so sick, and if you find out at the same time that you may have lost another baby months ago, it's gotta be hard emotionally.

· Registered
12,261 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I was also thinking that it's very likely these "random body parts" were pieces left from a twin that died in utero. That seems a lot more likely than "the human body is so great that it can produce any and all kinds of organs even when you're not an embryo anymore."

Yup. That.

Hoping for a good recovery/outcome here ...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.