Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

· Registered
707 Posts
I am currently reading his book "Dare to Discipline"--actually the copy that my parents used with us kids. He makes some very good points in the book...punish ONLY defiant behavior but DO NOT punish children for being children. While some of his methods make me scratch my head, his basic principles just make sense.

· Registered
899 Posts
My parents listened to and used many of his methods with my sister and I. I am a Christian so I enjoy reading or hearing of child discipline from a christians point of view.
Most important though is that I think with every book you read you should only use what you believe to be true. I am not a big AP parent but I like some of the ideas in the "Happiest Baby on the Block"

Overall, yes, I like and agree with most of what I read from Dr. Dobson.

· Registered
9,064 Posts
I will admit Dobson has some good ideas and philosophy. He is much better and more respectable than many Christian childrearing authors. He is far more qualified than MOST other Christian childrearing authors. I will admit in that book he makes many good points

But

I ABSOULUTELY HATE HIS attitudes that ****/bi-sexually is a learned behavior and not genetic. http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=26878 "Bringing up Boys".

He also once wrote (think it was in Brining up Boys) that teen-age boys should not baby sit (girls) because they are naturally sexually curious and would be to tempt. Basically saying the teen male sex drive is to strong for a teen to control so they cannot help their actions. I think this is #@[email protected]#!! It is an excuse for sex abuse.

He is also is against the family bed.

· Registered
1,178 Posts
A quick note, I am a Christian, I have read nearly all of Dobson's books, heard audio series etc I am very against Dobson. The major problem I have is that while sometimes his logic makes sense or his basic premise is sound his implementation is way off. Personally I would not read anything he writes as an actual tool to help me raise my child. My dh is convinced he is a cult leader.
I do raise follow AP principles most of the time.

1. he does advocate spanking
2. he is against the family bed
3. he is not against CIO
4. he has some "odd" views on women (IMO)
I could ramble on here but my dd is hungry.......

Final note while dd decides what to eat, the movie reviews on his sponsored web site (he does not actually write the reviews) are pretty funny at times. I am always afraid when I agree with them. (does happen occasionally!)

· Registered
12,640 Posts
I am a Dobson kid. I mean my parenst were Dobson fans.
I like him I think, I admit that I haven't really read a whole lot of his materials.

I don't read many parenting books. LOL

Like most "experts" I take what I want and leave the rest. After all, Dr. Sears is pro-vax!

· Registered
7,337 Posts
My mom was a big fan of him and now I also am. I truly gained alot from his idea on discipline. In terms of disobedience and childish behavior. The first book I read from him reccomended a squeeze on the neck rather than a spanking. ? Anyway, Overall I like him. I leave what does not mix with our parenting but have been able to take away alot of good too. I'm currently doing a devotional called night light for parents.
I like It alot so far.

· Registered
899 Posts
I know he had written and spoken a lot about homosexuality. But it's all been based on the Bible.
I have had two uncles that were homosexual and I loved them both but I hated thier sin. They both would say that it was a choice and not something they were born into.
Even if I didn't like what Dobson has to say about homosexuality, I would still use try his parenting practices. I believe in consistent discipline and will use spanking if nessasary. But I like to exhaust my other discipline options first. I think he gives more than one way to get your child to obey.

· Registered
8,471 Posts
Quote:
I have had two uncles that were homosexual and I loved them both but I hated thier sin. They both would say that it was a choice and not something they were born into.
Just because it was a choice for your uncles doesn't mean it's a choice for the rest of the homosexual population. Lots of people choose to become ambidextrous, doesn't mean I chose to be a leftie.

Carry on with the discipline issues discussion.

· Registered
899 Posts
Meiri: Hope I didn't offend. But I don't think your example about choosing to be ambidextrous and choosing homosexuality really cant be compared. I do think that a persons enviroment can influence thier choices but ultimatly I believe in the Bible and that God created us. I don't believe he created any us to be murderers, lyers, cheaters, homosexuals. ect..... Those are all choices we make as individuals, and all of the above listed are sins in God's eyes

Back to the subject of Dr. Dobson and discipline. I was just trying to reiterate how some of us may not like a portion of any particular discipline book but love another portion. I am not a big Dr. Sears fan, but I have kept an open mind and feel that some of his practices can be good advice. I think Dr. Dobson has good practical advice for Christian Mom's and Dad's and he bases his practices and beliefs on God's word.

Laurie

· Registered
3,831 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jlcampbellkidz
Meiri: Hope I didn't offend. But I don't think your example about choosing to be ambidextrous and choosing homosexuality really cant be compared. I do think that a persons enviroment can influence thier choices but ultimatly I believe in the Bible and that God created us. I don't believe he created any us to be murderers, lyers, cheaters, homosexuals. ect..... Those are all choices we make as individuals, and all of the above listed are sins in God's eyes

To be quite frank, the above *is* incredibly offensive. Comparing gays and lesbians to murderers, liars and cheaters is offensve to those mothers here on MDC who are lesbian and who may happen upon this thread unknowing that it will be filled with hatred toward their existence.

I think you should have more care with your words.

"I think Dr. Dobson has good practical advice for Christian Mom's and Dad's and he bases his practices and beliefs on God's word."

As a Christian, I don't think that his advocating spanking is basing his practices and beliefs on God's word. As a follower of Christ, I abhor violence of any kind, against anyone--enemy or child--and refuse to either practice it in my life and family or support someone who claims to be follower of Christ and sees no wrong in "chastening" a child with violence.

· Registered
15,997 Posts
I like a lot of what Dobson has to say re. discipline. A lot of common sense stuff. The one thing I read that impacted me the most was that if you want your children to be obediant and follow your lead you have to be a good leader who commands respect (not demands - by command I mean the sort of person who just gets respect because they act in a manner that makes people want to follow thier lead. does that make sense? it has been a long day :LOL) When ever my children are having a bad day, and being disrespectful, disobediant, and generally naughty I have to step back and see if my behavior in some way is not living up to what it needs to be. what type of leader am I being? Am I slacking? I also was listening to aprogram during a car trip. It was an awful trip, the middle of the night and I was in and out but I remember he was talking about spanking and while he isn't dead set against it he does say if you have to spank your child every day (or more) it is obviously not working and youneed to find a better way. thjat you shouldn't have to spank your child more than once or twice. And while I would prefer people didn't spank at all if they are going to anyway, I htink this is somehting they should all bare in mind.

· Banned
1,657 Posts
Quote:
filled with hatred toward their existence.
There was no hate in the post you quoted. I'm a christian and I've lied before. Even though I'm basically a nice person it doesn't make my lying any less of a sin in God's eyes.

Lilyka, ITA.

· Registered
12,640 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by onlyboys
To be quite frank, the above *is* incredibly offensive. Comparing gays and lesbians to murderers, liars and cheaters is offensve to those mothers here on MDC who are lesbian and who may happen upon this thread unknowing that it will be filled with hatred toward their existence.
Perhaps you could point out exactly where this hatred is? I didn't see anyone post anything about hating gays/lesbians.

Dr. Dobson is a Christian and bases his teachings on his interpretation of the Bible. So what did you expect him to say about homosexuality?

· Registered
731 Posts
The OP asked for opinions on the guy.

I find his attitudes toward homosexuality dangerous - to children who are gay and to their families and communities.

My two cents -- but I got a lot more in my pocket.

Others can be more eloquent.

· Registered
596 Posts
I don't have a problem with him. My parents read a lot of his books and they were great parents.

I remember most listening to his tapes about adolescence and sexuality and i found them helpful, especially in that he said masturbation wasn't a big deal and not to worry about it as a sin or feel guilty. Though AHHHHHH!!! I can't stand the way he pronounces the word 'puberty' (like 'poo-berty' instead of 'pew-berty'), drives me crazy--to this day it drives me nuts, and i listented to those tapes back when i was 12 years old
:.

As i recall, he also had good strategies for dealing with strong-willed children also (though i read that book 10 years ago so my memory may be foggy).

1 - 20 of 69 Posts