Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS has a raised red area on his hip (Upper hip right over the bony prominence). It is very hot to the touch and is blazing red. It also has a center to it. He screams if you touch it.

I noticed it last night. I cleaned it well and he slept without a diaper on. This morning it has an area of red streakiness that is extending from it and going further out on his skin. It is still hot and nasty looking.

So WDYT? Do we go to the pedi to have it looked at? (This will inevitably also include the obligatory Vaccine Scaremongering that goes along with a pedi visit

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Sigh, you know I avoid them, but that sounds like a go to the dr. kind of thing. Sounds like a boil. Warning- start researching the nasty staphs that are out there. And the heavy duty antibiotics that go with them.

(research MRSA....)

-Angela

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
In the meantime- warm compresses. It will be easier on everyone if you can get it to pop by itself rather than being lanced.

If they lance it (or it's open by then) INSIST on a culture. You need to know sooner rather than later which bugger you're dealing with.

-Angela

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Opened and drained is FABULOUS!

In that case... I would watch CLOSELY for a few hours. Measure or mark current red streaks. Check them at least hourly. If they increase AT ALL- go in. If they're decreasing and the redness is decreasing I would probably not (personally) go in.

I WOULD treat it as something super nasty and contagious. Get some serious antibiotic ointment or the like and keep it covered. Wash anything that MAY have touched it in HOT water. Wash hands frequently. Whatever it is you DON'T want it to spread.

good luck!

-Angela

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Opened and drained is FABULOUS!

In that case... I would watch CLOSELY for a few hours. Measure or mark current red streaks. Check them at least hourly. If they increase AT ALL- go in. If they're decreasing and the redness is decreasing I would probably not (personally) go in.

I WOULD treat it as something super nasty and contagious. Get some serious antibiotic ointment or the like and keep it covered. Wash anything that MAY have touched it in HOT water. Wash hands frequently. Whatever it is you DON'T want it to spread.

good luck!

-Angela
:

Neosporin is awesome and our dr gave us Fucidin as my DD is so sensitive to mosquito bites she gets staph infections in them b/c she scratches so much. I'd rather use an antibiotic cream any day rather than oral antibiotics (which happened the first time she got an infection in her bites).

But if there are still streaky things or if some reappear, it would be wise to see the dr. Blood poisoning is not something to fool around with.

Hope it clears up soon though!

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay so this is insane! The redness spread and it is still quite hot.

I went on to the Pediatrician. She came in and looked at it and said it was an abcess. (Okay I knew that already. Now tell me what you are going to do about it)

Then she freaked out and told me that because of the location on his hip bone she was concerned that the infection might spread into the bone and cause osteomyelitis. At this point I was getting freaked! Calen had osteomyelitis and septic arthritis in his left shoulder and arm last year and ended up in the hospital for 2 months. He had 5 surgeries. He then had a broviac line and was on IV antibiotics every 6 hours for another 2 months at home. The infection suppressed his immune system and he was on neutropenic precautions for months.
:

So the Pedi said she wanted to prescribe a mega dose of Augmentin for him to take 3 times a day for 10 days. She went over the symptoms of osteomyelitis. Then she went to walk out of the room.

At this point I asked her if it wouldn't be prudent to take a culture prior to starting antibiotics so we would know what bacteria is there. She just said no and to call if he was having trouble walking or the redness spread. Then she said "Oh and by the way the dose of Augmentin I put him on is probably going to give him horrible diarrhea. Make sure he stays hydrated."
:

It makes no sense to me to put him on a broad spectrum antibiotic without even knowing what we are dealing with. What if it does get into the bone and we need to know a specific bacteria? Part of the problem with his bone infection last year was they neglected to get a culture prior to treating him with antibiotics. It took us 5 trys before we finally got an antibiotic that worked.

I brought him home and marked the margins with a pen. They haven't moved in hours.

So WDYT? What is your opinion about the antibiotics? I am astounded that they practice medicine without even looking for evidence to back up the action they are taking, in this case a culture.
:

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
My question is if they culture it how long will it take for the results? Is this something that has to grow (the culture) 12 hours 24 hours 48 hours? Maybe she is afraid whatever he has will spread in the time it takes for the culture to come back. The lesser of two evils is to start him on antibiotics.

Just throwing this idea out there.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
My question is if they culture it how long will it take for the results? Is this something that has to grow (the culture) 12 hours 24 hours 48 hours? Maybe she is afraid whatever he has will spread in the time it takes for the culture to come back. The lesser of two evils is to start him on antibiotics.

Just throwing this idea out there.
Well see that is the problem. If you start antibiotics without the culture then you can't find out what was growing there to begin with. You can take a culture and then start antibiotics as soon as the culture is taken. You don't even have to wait for the results to start on the antibiotics. It is just a matter of taking a swab of the area.

That way after the culture results come back you know for certain whether the antibiotic you are using is effective and can change it if need be.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I hate to suggest clogging up an ER for this (when the doctors office is open) but you can go there and ask for a culture. they will have results in hours not days (like the PED's office). With his history I wouldn't chance it. I would just tell them the possible infections he has a history of and you are terrified of what could happen (because you have already experienced it).

Or wait till the doctors office closes and take him right in. Tell them it got a little bigger and "see above".

Play the paranoid mother card. You'll probably be in and out in two hours.

disclaimer:
I hate liars. But in cases that lies need to be told I am all for it. Anything involving my children and possible harm (because a doctor won't listen) is cause for embellishments.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Also, Smart Water has electrolytes in it. I didn't know that until recently. My DD is allergic to corn so we don't do juice or Gatorade (or whatever blue drink with electrolytes people use these days).

Mine will only drink soy milk and water so if your's is the same, switch all water to Smart Water .

disclaimer:
I do not work for Smart Water corporation.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CalenandEllasmomma View Post
Well see that is the problem. If you start antibiotics without the culture then you can't find out what was growing there to begin with. You can take a culture and then start antibiotics as soon as the culture is taken. You don't even have to wait for the results to start on the antibiotics. It is just a matter of taking a swab of the area.

That way after the culture results come back you know for certain whether the antibiotic you are using is effective and can change it if need be.

I'd insist on a culture, then consider starting the antibiotics you've got (depending on status- heat, redness, spreading, etc)

good luck!

-Angela

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CalenandEllasmomma View Post

Exactly! Thats what I was thinking and should of clarified my train of thought.

My daughter is prone to UTI's, but they always get a culture and send it off to the hospital lab to 'grow" it. But in the mean time they have her on antiobtics. If the results come back resistant to the antibiotic they would give her something else (hasn't happened but just in case).

So I don't get why the Ped wouldn't run labs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.