Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did anyone see dr. phil today? i don't usually watch him but was flipping through the channels and couldn't stop! i have never seen anything so awful in my entire life. For those that did not see it, it was a about a bad mommy and she was so terrible i don't even want to tell you all about it! just wanted to know if anyone else out there was as appalled as i was!

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
I don't watch much TV, but last I was watching something after DD was in bed and saw a preview for today's show. Something about him not being able to whiteness that stuff without reporting it.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I love Dr. Phil... but I was at baby yoga with Ds when it was on, anyone able to recap? I know it was about those horrible horrible parents, but my question is... why the hell do they still have their kids???? That is no way to treat another person... and I only saw the preview!!!!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
What was it about? For some reason I can't get it from the pps. Dr. Phil is VERY pro CIO and has given terrible advice to parents(IMO), that is one reason I do not like him.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
oh, I think I saw a preview for it, but I'm pretty sure it's a rerun...is that the one where he says that things have gotten so bad there is no way he can not call cps on them or someting along those lines

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog
Yeah, go gentle discipline! Woo hoo! Public hangings all around!
hmmm, not sure that 'gd' would wake up some people. And we're talking adults here...

or do you think a bit of redirection would have been more appropriate? Nevermind, really...we're getting ot...

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by momtoNatalee
What was it about? For some reason I can't get it from the pps. Dr. Phil is VERY pro CIO and has given terrible advice to parents(IMO), that is one reason I do not like him.
A bit too complicated to explain it all...but you can see what it was about here...

http://www.drphil.com/

Of course I don't agree with everything that comes out of his mouth, but obviously he has helped alot of people...

I've never heard him say anything about cio tho...

I can't help it I kinda like him...
:

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Okay - so I went and checked it out. The episode is about a Mom with a 10 yo, a 9 yo, twin 3 yo (boy and girl) and a 7 month old baby. When she asks the kids to do something if it doesn't happen immediately, she kicks them hits them calls them f*&ing B$%ches, and swears and beats them. They (meaning her husband brought it home) a stick in there house that they beat them with, and dad has kicked them in the butt with his steel toe boots. He didn't know that she was doing as much as she was doing to them, and Dr. Phil showed him the footage from the house. The kids don't want their parents to get into trouble, and Dr. Phil is horrified. She has uncontrollable rage with them. The 3 yo boy twin bites himself when she starts yelling at him, because he is so scared of his Mom yelling at him. It goes on and on. The best part, my favorite part, is that he told the Dad, (the one who hits them with the stick and the steel toed boots), that he isn't allowed to leave her alone with the kids until they get intervention. I guess he is apparently according to the kids the lesser of two evils, but good lord. Call the cops on these people! He said he was reporting them to CPS.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I just turned it on.....and changed the channel after seeing her son beg her to stop beating him.

I am crying, sick to my stomach, and outraged. She needs to be in jail.

HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Oh, I saw that episode at the beginning of the summer. It was AWFUL. I honestly felt sick and sad at the same time. If that women could scream and hit her kid in the head then kick him, all while being aware she was on camera, then I don't even want to know what it is like for them when the camera is off. As I recall, I don't think Dr. Phil actually called CPS, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Horrible, horrible show.... I couldn't watch the whole thing either

I looked at Dr. Phil's website though, and it was reported. He's required, by law, to report abuse. From the website:

Quote:
Please be assured that immediately following the taping of "A Mother's Rage," the Dr. Phil show did make a report to local child protection authorities. As a mental health professional, Dr. Phil is required by law to make such a report if he has concerns about the safety, welfare or well being of a child. However, Dr. Phil does not himself have the authority to remove children from their parents' home.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
ah, memories.

Sadly, this is probably a more common phenomenon than many will admit. What this woman has done is horrible, and it's amazing what kids will put up with. While I wouldn't forgive this woman for what she's done, I have to say she's done a very brave thing by admitting it and seeking help.

One reason I'm very adamant about raising DD AP is that I don't want to ever feel helplessly doomed to repeat my parents' mistakes.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.