Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm not sure if this is the proper place to post, but I have been lurking on this forum for a while now and have noticed a few do not do prenatel visits, and many of you have alot of knowledge.

I'm wondering about shots.. Specificly blood tests, what are your thoughts on them?

I am 17 1/2 weeks pregnant and due to get my blood work soon. I have a huge needle phobia, and have always fainted and had pedimall seziures when I get my blood taken. I've been having nightmares for a few weeks now because I fall asleep thinking about it. I'm not sure why I'm so fearful since so many people get blood taken, but the fear is there and not going away. I feel so bad forcing my body to do this when I feel soooo uncomfortable about it. While I know I can skip the STD testing (Only have had one partner, my husband and he was tested before we were together, and I just dont feel I need std testing) I'm wondering about the other tests they run on the blood.

How bad is it if I skip it?

At this point I'm not talking about the GD testing as I havent gotten "that far" researching or thinking about those tests and I know that would be another DR visit, and a Different blood draw.

Any thoughts are really apreacited.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Honestly, I think the only important knowledge you get from those blood tests is whether you're RH+/-. If you already know your blood type, then you don't need that test. I'll bet if you don't personally know your blood type, your mom probably has it on record.

Other stuff tested for is immunity to rubella (pretty unlikely you'll come into contact with this if you live in the US - there's a small chance, but it's really really really small), iron level (if you feel anemic, take a natural iron supplement - I usually take alfalfa throughout pregnancy anyway, and I used to be borderline anemic).

I don't think the blood testing is absolutely necessary for a healthy pregnancy.

And since you mentioned the glucose test... There is no research that has found the routine GTT test to be that useful. I'm seeing an OB (because my last baby was preterm and if it happens again, I want this particular OB to be my doctor in the hospital, rather than getting assigned to whoever), and I have refused the GTT test. I'm testing my blood sugar at home with my dad's glucometer sometime around 28 weeks... it's a tiny little needle that very quickly goes in and out of the side of your finger. I'm needle-phobic (although not to the extent that you are), and I did manage to do this test and it really wasn't that bad (tested at 21 weeks because I kept spilling glucose in my urine, but all is fine). My finger only hurt later because I had to squeeze more blood out to do a second testing after the glucometer turned off with the first one.
I squeezed my finger way too much (you barely need any blood for a glucometer test), so that's why my finger hurt. Before I squeezed it, it really didn't hurt. And the needle going in and out was faster than any human can prick you, and you don't even see the needle - you put this plastic pen thingy against your finger, press a button, and feel a quick but tiny prick. Then you're done. Not nearly as bad as having your blood drawn or even as bad as having those finger prick tests they usually do on the tip of your finger (which has more nerves than the side of your finger!).

Btw, my OB actually *offered* for me to refuse the GTT, and he didn't say I needed to do anything as an alternative. I suggested the glucometer usage because my dad is diabetic, I started pregnancy overweight, and I tend to not eat a diabetic-friendly diet (I'm a horribly picky eater, and pray that I never become diabetic as I'll probably starve!). So my risk of GD is higher, and I want to make sure I don't have it. Last pregnancy, I didn't take the GTT or do glucometer testing at all (granted, my baby came the week after you're supposed to take the test anyway, so it would have been moot!). My midwife doesn't require the test, but if she saw sudden spilling of glucose in the urine, she might have suggested at least using a glucometer. This pregnancy, I've been spilling glucose the whole pregnancy, but apparently, it's just that "variation of normal" type glucose spilling that some women will have.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Are you having your baby in a hospital? What kind of doctor/midwife do you have? It is possible to find a LAY-midwife who will be okay not doing any blood tests. My old midwife didn't do any. I think she usually does basic labs tests, but I refused and she didn't hassle me. It depends if they are comfortable assisting someone who hasn't had blood tests. Lay midwives are the most laid back and unmedical out of all the different types of midwives. There are also professional midwives and certified nurse midwives. The latter being the most medical. Lay Midwives are legal in only some states, I think about 1/3 of all states. I know they are legal in Colorado and Tenn. and not legal in N.Carolina. Don't know about the other states.

What if you just turned them down? Anyone know?

There's a law that says you have to ask the person in order to test their blood for HIV, but if you are expecting a baby, doctors are aloud to test you or your baby behind your back. Eventhough chances of transferring it to the baby during a normal birth are low. Infact, babies aren't aloud to leave the hospital before testing negative for HIV. I was reading this article about mother's with HIV and babies with HIV and how many people feel that the drugs they are given are not helpful, do not prolong anyone's life, and are just plain poison. Forgot what the drug is called. Many of the mothers were hiding out and on the run, because they didn't want to give their kids what they feel is poison that will only make them sicker and die sooner. They were forced to given their kids the drug before leaving the hospital. Social workers would come to their house and watch them give their children the drug, even though they as adults weren't forced to take it. It's scary. When pregnant, I don't want any doctor to test my blood in case my rights are taken away from me, for any given reason. Plus, then what would they do? Cause more interventions or a c-section that would raise the chances of blood mixing?

My husband has also had his blood tested, twice actually before surgeries, and we've been together for 6 years, so I see no point. When I was pregnant with my first, I didn't want a pap-smear either! I just don't want to be violated. I waited until I was 26 weeks along to find a midwife who took Medicaid who wouldn't do vaginal checks, even in labor. But that was just a loop hole, because she was filing through a friend, and Medicaid doesn't accept lay midwives. So I lucked out. Should have done a UC. She was nearly perfect, but even then, I would rather of had a UC.
But I thought I had to have a baby first, to make sure I could do it. Now that I see so many FTMs having UC's, that would have made me realize that I could have done it with my first!

I'm also against the rhogam shot, so was my old midwife. She the rare kind of midwife who taught me enough to make you realize that you didn't need her and would rather have a UC, and had UC's herself. Yet I still wouldn't want her at the birth.

p.s, I remember testing for my blood type in a high school biology class, and all we had to do was prick out fingers. Way different they getting blood drawn. Dh and I are both deathly afraid of needles.

·
Registered
867 Posts
The only other thing that might be important to look at is your TSH, but if you aren't sympomatic, I wouldn't think twice about skipping it. (I'm on Armour for being hypothyroid, and have been for not quite 10 years, so it's a concern for me but....)

If you are sympomatic though, it'd be worth it bc docs can't seem to figure out how to treat HT sympomatically anymore...and it does affect the babys health, mentally and physically.

Good luck

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I don't think most OBs bother to test for thyroid issues. I know mine didn't. Obviously, if there are reasons to suspect such issues, they would test. But to my knowledge, most don't do that on a regular basis - you'd probably have to ask for it at alot of offices.

·
Premium Member
15,078 Posts
I have no fear of needles. However, I also see no reason for many of the tests.

For me, I usually get the tests, when offered at the drs office just because I am already there and just because. However, if I have to go somewhere else, I don't.

You can skip any and ALL tests if you want. They can not MAKE you, and quite frankly, most drs won't put up too big of a fuss about it. Although some will. My last OB actually advised me against taking most tests because I told her that it would not change anything for me and I didn't need them. So, she just said I should skip them.

She was a really cood OB. If I ever did go OB hospital birth, she is the one I would like to be there!

If you have a phobia and really don't want the tests, "just say NO!" (I love that phrase.)

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
The only reason I allowed prenatal testing is because my back up OB suggested that were I to need to transport, it would make my life easier. Anything that makes my life easier in labor is a good thing. However, I am not afraid of needles! If I were, I would likely skip it altogether!

·
Registered
198 Posts
This is my 5th pregnancy and the 3rd where I've rejected all testing. The only thing I ever watch is the protein in my urine, baby's heartbeat and measuring the uterus height.

boscopup-that's a great idea about testing your sugar like that. I may do that when I get further along, just to keep an eye on things. I've been GD in the past.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I haven't done any testing at all this time. No blood work, no GD test, no GBS test, nada. I already know I'm rh- but I doubt I'll get Rhogam anyway. I don't think skipping the blood work is a big deal.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kibba
I have a huge needle phobia, and have always fainted and had pedimall seziures when I get my blood taken. I've been having nightmares for a few weeks now because I fall asleep thinking about it.
I personally think that if you feel fine and you are comfortable not having the testing done, don't do it! I think you are posing alot greater risk to yourself and your baby if you are that stressed out and you have a seizure. Go with your gut and hopefully you will find a supportive practitioner, or you can do your own care at home!

I would not recommend a typical hospital birth setting for you either since IV's tend to be a standard practice! Look into your options and trust yourself , you are starting at a great resource here!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts