Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a very crunchy area so it shocks me that there is only one provider in the whole county who will consider a vbac. Well, yesterday I got an email from the main ob/gyn stating that they are revising their vbac policy and may not do them anymore. There is also only one mid-wife in the area who will do a home vbac but she requires Dr visits in addition to her visits and we just cannot afford that. If I wasn't so chicken sh%t I would consider an unassisted birth, but I'm just way too scared. I feel angry and upset that I even have to deal with this. I'm still not sure if I want a vbac or another c/s. I go back and forth with it every day. every time I think about my ds's birth, I want to curl into a ball and rock and cry. It was so traumatizing and I think I withheld a lot of my feelings on the matter until now. I feel like damaged goods

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
That really stinks! I hate that so many doctors/hospitals are making these kinds of choices and limiting the choices of pregnant women.

A couple of thoughts off the top of my head:
*Do you have a local ICAN chapter? They may be able to point you in the direction of some other CPs or some more "underground" midwives.

*Can you travel? Do you have family that lives in another area? You could always find a more VBAC friendly CP there. Plus, if you have family nearby that you could stay with that would make it so much easier.

*Your plan 'B' can always be to seek care with these doctors, smile and nod at all the appropriate moments and then show up pushing. Not the best option, I know.

mama!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Ahhh! I know what you mean: Even if you haven't made up your mind whether you want a VBAC or not, you at least want the opportunity! I wish women were supported EVERYWHERE to have the births they desire. It's horrible to make a pregnant woman beg and plead and bend over backwards fighting for the births they desire.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Sweetie you have a right to make a choice in this and it absolutely stinks that the insurance and administrators think it's OK to take OUR choices away. Please, please write letters about this - they need to hear that this is NOT acceptable.

And I'm sending you a huge hug. I know exactly what you mean about feeling like damaged goods. I walked into the hospital with a perfect functioning beautiful uterus and walked out with a completely unnecessarily damaged uterus. I believe that my uterus has healed perfectly, but I haven't managed to erase that scar from my mind (I'm using visualization to work on this) and I HATE that it is supposed to be a consideration in my next labour. It makes me incredibly angry that this was "gifted" to me by the very people who are going to make a stink about it next time. Anyway - grieve as you need to and take the time to process. Birth art is helping me a lot, too (read Birthing from Within if you haven't already).

And as somebody who has had both kinds of birth (vag homebirth 1st then c/s), I can tell you, nobody will EVER cut me again unless it's sure and certain that there is an emergency. I'll walk out of the hospital and birth in the parking lot before I allow a repeat surgery - it was THAT different an experience. The energy it will take to fight for your vbac is worth it.

xo Robin

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bean's mama View Post
I feel like damaged goods

Yes, I can relate to that. It makes a vbac all the more sweet. I had to drive 80 mi to a fsbc to get mine, I hope you find a way to do it. It was so worth the extra distance. I wouldn't change one thing about my vbac! I would definitely do some things differently with the surgical birth, and I often look at dd1 and think she deserved a better birth than she got.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
It is so not fair that our choices are being taken away from us. You are not damaged goods their thinking is damaged.

There are other options for you to explore. Just keep an open mind and try to stay calm.
Hugs!!
Angela

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would travel out of the area if that were an option but we live in a remote area of the pacific northwest. The next closest big towns are anywhere from 3-4 hours away. I guess that's part f the price I pay for living away from the "real" world.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Before I found the bc I ended up going to, I was toying w/ the idea of going to Amsterdam. Now THAT was unrealistic, but then some people do that kind of thing.

Can you get Medicaid to pay for MD visits? And pay out of pocket for the MW? Can you do anything in barter?

Definitely get Birthing From Within, it made such a difference for me in helping me sort out my feelings. A doula might also help you in exploring your options.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I know this is an older message, but I just joined this site and have been looking for VBAC info. Your post totally caught my eye because I also live in Hum Co. and just started looking into the possibility of having a VBAC up here... I'm wondering if you did find a dr who would support having one. If there really are no providers that do VBACS, that just makes me sick -it should be the MOTHER'S DECISION to VBAC or CS... Thanks,I really appreciate any news or advice you have for birthing in Humboldt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.