Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone read any of Robin Pauc's books (e.g. <a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325&tag=motheringhud-20&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.uk%2Fexec%2Fobidos%2FASIN%2F0753510642%2Fqid%3D1144768406%2Fsr%3D8-2%2Fref%3Dsr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl" target="_blank">Is That My Child?: A Parents Guide to Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, ADD, ADHD, OCD and Tourette's Syndrome of Childhood</a>), or followed his prescribed treatment for Developmental Delay Syndrome? I would be very interested in any feedback. Thank you!<br><br>
Heba<br>
Mum to a 7-year-old with dyspraxic symptoms and food sensitivities

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Been a few weeks since I posted this. Since then, we have been to see a clinic which follows Dr Pauc's approach to the diagnosis and treatment of developmental delays. The doctor agreed that DS displays dyspraxic and ADHD symptoms, but did not label as they hold that these are not conditions in and of themselves, do not occur in isolation, but rather are all symptoms of delayed development in a particular part of the brain. So we are working on getting the right side of DS's brain to develop. He has been prescribed an additive-free diet (which he was already strictly on) and several daily exercises to get both sides of the brain working. In addition, we are to supplement with DHAs (which we were already doing), increase his protein/decrease refined carbohydrate intake, and up his physical activity (a bit difficult since we live in a very hot climate, but apparently Wii-fit exercises count so in addition to swimming and indoor soft-play during summer, we should be OK). We are also going to try adding zinc supplements, which have been found in one study to be an effective substitute for ritalin, or to enhance the effect of ritalin. I wonder if anyone else has any info/experiences with zinc supplementation?<br><br>
In case anyone else is interested in this approach, I will post updates as we go.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts