Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that it's been brought up before (the site), but I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the site has been updated - particularly this link?

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/1/t012000.asp

I checked it out a while ago but don't remember it being this pro-intact before. Since one of the younger docs is my nephew's ped., I wonder what could've been if they had taken a stronger stance before. Then again, my idiot brother probably would've made the same decision.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I do not know if the site has been updated or not, but I can say that I have the Sears "baby book" older issue and it does not have alot of anticirc info at all! I just hope the revised issue sounds as good as this does!

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
The site has definitely been updated! At one time, it was one of those sites that said it was not necessary but didn't really make a case for not circumcising. Like many sites, it tried so hard to be neutral, it almost advocated for circumcision. That certainly is not the case any longer. I am glad to see these changes. It gives the site a whole new complection and it's looking good!

I remember that the site came up for discussion here a couple of years ago and there was a letter writing campaign refuting the information they had on their site. It appears they took our letters to heart. It appears they have even been lurking on our fourm from the information they have on their site. I don't think we could even hope for anything stronger. It appears that our efforts paid off!

Frank

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
Their Christian Child Care book has a much stronger stance against circ than their Baby Book.

I wish the Baby Book had a stronger stance because it would reach more people.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I really love what they have on their website. It is very easy to read and right to the point. It is one of my favorite links to send to people. I am disappointed with their books though. I imagine the books have been in print for several years though and it is a lot harder to make changes to a book than a website. Maybe if they come out with new editions with the books they will update the circ info in them.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
It's been that way for a while, at least a year, maybe longer....if you search my old posts you'll find links to it. There is a page on their website that's been there forever promising to add info about the sexual effects of circ: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/t101500.asp

Also, the newest (2003) edition of the Baby Book is far more equivocal than the website. If you go to Amazon and search inside the book you can read it. It's very disappointing.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Quirky, Here's something I found on the page you linked to:

Quote:
Painless circumcision should be a birthright.
What they were trying to say is that no baby should be circumcised without pain relief but this is not well said and I can imagine that there are those who remember bits and pieces and come out remembering "Circumcsion should be a birthright and it should be painless." I hope that will be removed. (Anybody from Dr. Sears lurking here?????)

Frank

1 - 11 of 11 Posts