Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 4 year old to the doctor today. She has been peeing tons for the last month or and having lots of accidents. She also complains of stomach aches and has been more sleepy lately. Plus her pee stinks. Anyways I thought she had a UTI but they took the urine sample and then the doctor came into the room and said the urine sample was clean with no bacteria. Then he asked me if we had a history of diabetes in our family. I said yes, a very strong history (my sister and I have PCOS - insulin resistance, my dad has diabetes, DH's dad has diabetes. 3 of my Dad's sisters had diabetes, including one with type 1 diabetes, and both sides of grandparents too. I wasn't thinking diabetes as a possibility at all. I asked him if they found something in her urine to suggest that and he just basically mumbled something about inconclusive, blah, blah, blah and said we had to go for a blood test. He said the frequent urination was a sign of diabetes. So we went for a blood test (she didn't even cry!) and we have to take another urine sample in in the morning. I don't know what to think. Can you even have diabetes without excessive thirst?? Because she doesn't have that. The only other symptoms other than the ones I listed about when I was thinking UTI are that her urine stinks and her breath smells funny. She is not sickly though, not really. I really don't think she has it - as a mother I feel I would know something like this. But I am still a bit worried. Is it common for a doctor to refer a 4 year old to get a blood test for no reason other than peeing frequently? Or did he see something in the urine and just not want to tell me. Maybe he's just being over cautious?

Oh I forgot to add she has vomited a couple of times in the past month but it was after eating junky stuff so we assume that is just because she ate too much.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
I took my 4 year old to the doctor today. She has been peeing tons for the last month or and having lots of accidents. She also complains of stomach aches and has been more sleepy lately. Plus her pee stinks. Anyways I thought she had a UTI but they took the urine sample and then the doctor came into the room and said the urine sample was clean with no bacteria. Then he asked me if we had a history of diabetes in our family. I said yes, a very strong history (my sister and I have PCOS - insulin resistance, my dad has diabetes, DH's dad has diabetes. 3 of my Dad's sisters had diabetes, including one with type 1 diabetes, and both sides of grandparents too. I wasn't thinking diabetes as a possibility at all. I asked him if they found something in her urine to suggest that and he just basically mumbled something about inconclusive, blah, blah, blah and said we had to go for a blood test. He said the frequent urination was a sign of diabetes. So we went for a blood test (she didn't even cry!) and we have to take another urine sample in in the morning. I don't know what to think. Can you even have diabetes without excessive thirst?? Because she doesn't have that. The only other symptoms other than the ones I listed about when I was thinking UTI are that her urine stinks and her breath smells funny. She is not sickly though, not really. I really don't think she has it - as a mother I feel I would know something like this. But I am still a bit worried. Is it common for a doctor to refer a 4 year old to get a blood test for no reason other than peeing frequently? Or did he see something in the urine and just not want to tell me. Maybe he's just being over cautious?

Oh I forgot to add she has vomited a couple of times in the past month but it was after eating junky stuff so we assume that is just because she ate too much.

when we did our UTI urin analysis, the dir said clearly that they didn't see elevated sugar in the urine to suspect diabetes. from what i read, you'd need to have excessive thirst for diabetes. maybe they messed up her sample or something like that?

have you dimissed the IC as a possibility? did you talk to your dr about that? i'm only asking because i worry DD might have this. may i ask you something else, since you mentioned you had it as a child? did your symtoms stayed the same or diminished? dd's symptoms have diminished somewhat--the frequency is pretty normal, but she still has urgency. i.e. she says she needs to go, but can't. she is not overly upset about it anymore.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I talked to a friend whose child has diabetes and she said he didn't have the excessive thirst either. And that's why I'm worried because when they do the urinalysis they check for sugar. So if there was no elevated sugar levels why would he bother sending her for a blood test. That is what is making me think it might be. I have had bladder infections before and she has had one before. They checked the sugar, I know they did. And the one time I took her and she didn't have one (turned out to be irritation from bubble baths) he said that the urinalysis was completely normal and I am pretty sure he even mentioned diabetes being ruled out because the sugar levels are fine. This is a different doctor because we have moved but still you'd figure a doctor wouldn't send a 4 year old to get pricked if he wasn't concerned. Also I am in Ontario and we are supposed to have OHIP but Olivia's expired and I am having trouble getting it reinstated so I told him we would be paying everything out of pocket. I don't think he would send us for a blood test just because.

About the IC - no I definately have not ruled it out. But when he mentioned diabetes all thoughts of anything flew out of my mind so I didn't mention it. If the diabetes testing is normal I am going to try and push to get into a pediatric urologist.

Yes symptoms definitely come and go. Sometimes they are more severe - which is called a flare up - and sometimes it is mild. The having to go but can't is a definite symptom of mine. Before I was diagnosed I remember sitting on the toilet crying because it felt like I had to go but couldn't. That is because when you are having a bad flare up every little drop of urine that hits your bladder makes you feel like you have to pee but in reality there is nothing in there. Now that I am medicated I don't have that as often. I do still have flare ups, even on the medication, but they are few and far between.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I took my 4 year old to the doctor today. She has been peeing tons for the last month or and having lots of accidents. She also complains of stomach aches and has been more sleepy lately. Plus her pee stinks. Anyways I thought she had a UTI but they took the urine sample and then the doctor came into the room and said the urine sample was clean with no bacteria. Then he asked me if we had a history of diabetes in our family.

They more than likely did a urinanalysis looking for blood, bacteria, and glucose, and ketones. If your DD had glucose and or ketones in her urine that would suggest diabetes. Being fatigued can be a definite sign of ketoacidosis from diabetes. The frequent urination suggests diabetes mellitus. The smelly urine is a BIG red flag for diabetes. If you are in a ketoacidotic state then you start to spill ketones into your urine which stink. I am guessing he found either ketones or glucose in her urine and that is why he asked whether you had a family history or not.

I asked him if they found something in her urine to suggest that and he just basically mumbled something about inconclusive, blah, blah, blah and said we had to go for a blood test. He said the frequent urination was a sign of diabetes. So we went for a blood test (she didn't even cry!) and we have to take another urine sample in in the morning.

Ughh, he should have told you exactly what he found in her urine. That was just unprofessional.

Can you even have diabetes without excessive thirst?? Because she doesn't have that. The only other symptoms other than the ones I listed about when I was thinking UTI are that her urine stinks and her breath smells funny.

Yes, most kids don't exhibit the excessive thirst. The kids I saw most often in the ER who were newly diagnosed diabetics were skinny, healthy, active kids who suddenly had a positive urine screen. The smelly breath is another BIG red flag for diabetes. Again when your body is in a diabetic ketoacidotic state you expel ketones. You expel them in your breath as well as urine and sweat. It has been described as a fruity type smell on the breath. It is sickly sweet almost.

She is not sickly though, not really.

As I said above most diabetic kids are skinny, healthy, and active.

Is it common for a doctor to refer a 4 year old to get a blood test for no reason other than peeing frequently? Or did he see something in the urine and just not want to tell me.

I'm guessing he saw ketones or glucose in her urine. I can't see a reason for him to order a blood test otherwise

Oh I forgot to add she has vomited a couple of times in the past month but it was after eating junky stuff so we assume that is just because she ate too much

Might be related. Might not.

I talked to a friend whose child has diabetes and she said he didn't have the excessive thirst either. And that's why I'm worried because when they do the urinalysis they check for sugar. So if there was no elevated sugar levels why would he bother sending her for a blood test. reinstated so I told him we would be paying everything out of pocket. I don't think he would send us for a blood test just because.

He sent her for the blood test to check her blood glucose level. Potentially they did a Hemaglobin A1C which tells what the average blood glucose level has been for the last 30 days. If it is indeed diabetes She will probably have to have blood gases drawn at some point as well to determine how much of a state of acidosis she is in. Then this has to be treated and corrected.

I hope that helps! Ask away if you have any other questions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.