Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They dont run in my family (that I know of. DH's father was adopted, and my grandmother was adopted.) I've tried to look up the chances of having twins if it doesnt run in your family and I cant really find any information.

I have had two dreams now that I am pregnant with twins. My morning sickness is way worse this time than with DD, but other than that Im dont think anything is different. I did get a positive at 8 dpo, and took tests for 8 days following, the pink line getting darker very rapidly. I havent been tested for hcg levels or anything, and my first OB appt isnt until July 13th.

Mainly, Im just wondering if there are any mom's of twins that dont have twins in their family. Is it even a possibility? I would have never thought of this if I hadnt had these dreams, but now Im curious.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I'm having twins, and the last twins in our family were my mom's grandfather and his brother. I didn't even know that there were ANY twins in the family, but once everyone found out that I'm pregnant with two, everyone made a big deal about how they "ran in the family"...

Do you have short cycles? I never knew this until recently, but I guess that women who secrete more follicle-stimulating hormone (which makes it more likely to release more than one egg) almost always have shorter-than-average cycles. Mine have always been 24 or 25 days.

Of course, identical twins don't have anything to do with FSH or heredity... So who knows?! The only reason I found out about mine so early was because I was convinced I was going to have a miscarriage. My midwife got me in for an ultrasound to help me chill out, and found two babies instead of the blighted ovum I was expecting!

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have short cycles. Before DD they were always 25 days, and now they run about 28. How early was your US? I go for one on 6/13 and I will be 11 weeks exactly. I figure my OB will be able to tell me for sure by then. Its something she is always looking for, as she herself is a mother of twins.

I've asked everyone in my family (when I was pg with DD) and no one can recall any twins except one set that would be my great-great aunts on my mother's father's side of the family. But, as I said, DH's dad was adopted and we have no medical history at all. My mother's mom was also adopted with no medical history, so its really impossible to know for sure that twins dont run in our family.

I guess Ill just have to wait to find out!

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Hereditary twins (fraternal) would need to be on your side of the family b/c your genes affect how you ovulate. So don't worry about your dh's side. But your maternal grandmother's genetics would affect you. Otherwise the incidence of non-hereditary twins (identical) is very very low. Like less than 1% low.

Morning sickness, hCG levels, fundal height, and "popping out" are all so variable pregnancy to pregnancy that they are hard to use as twin indicators. I had dreams about twins with this pregnancy as well and even my MIL called up one day and said she had this feeling that it was twins. But no... I had a dating u/s at 9 weeks and only one baby was found. BUT in my DDC there is a woman that had an early u/s and then another one around 11 weeks and they didn't spot the twins until the second u/s! Hers are identical too! Crazy stuff! You would never know she's carrying twins- she's tiny, barely had m/s, and is still running like 15 milers. Everyone is sooo different.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
My ultrasound was at 7 weeks, 1 day.

I'm so jealous of the mama who is tiny and can still run. I already look like I'm 20 weeks along (though I've barely gained any weight), and I've been a slug for the past 6 weeks because I've felt so sick and fatigued. Oh well...

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
I know, I'm jealous of her, too! Between sleep deprivation, illness, and now pregnancy with fatigue and m/s I haven't run in forever! I miss feeling active and in shape. But that will come after this babe is born as we are DONE.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.