Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I have two daughters-ages almost 3 and 6. they both started being interested in dress up at around 2.5. My oldest likes pirates, knights, superheroines, queen amadala-you get the picture. The youngest likes fairies and princesses.
I've gotten them a lot of costumes, which get used just about every day.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I agree with Mata on the age. My dd starting wanting to dress up at around 2.5 - 3 yo. You know what though,
my dd would much rather wear my shoes, odd scarfs, my t-shirts as dresses, towels as robes, you get the idea.
Rather than costumes. I bought the $10 toy box at Ikea, and just keep filling it with things. One thing is going to
several discount stores the day after Halloween. They discount things down to like 80-90% off to get rid of it.
You'll find crowns and all sorts of things. Last year I got dd a Strawberry Shortcake costume for $1.99, and a
unicorn costume for around $2.50. She LOVES the unicorn. She likes to dress up in it and ride behind things.
Then we have to pretend she is a real unicorn. So she can pull the head part back and say "Nooooo it's just me".
I bought 2 of the S.Shortcake costumes for dd and her best friend. It's really cute to see them together in them.

My dd likes hats too. So I keep a look out for odd hats at second hand stores.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
same here- 2.5. we have a mix of costumes, play silks, junky jewelry, etc. my mom loves to pick this stuff up, so we've got tons of junk
but dd particularly loves her rain boots & an apron best of all!

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobica
same here- 2.5. we have a mix of costumes, play silks, junky jewelry, etc. my mom loves to pick this stuff up, so we've got tons of junk
but dd particularly loves her rain boots & an apron best of all!

OH an apron. I totally forgot. Dd has like 3 and she LOVES them. She is actually running around the yard as I type (we live on lots of land, she's allowed outside herself as long as I can see her from the window) with the arm protecter from the couch. She is riding her bike (camel) and is from the desert at the moment. Hence the arm protecter (turban) on her head.
So sweet.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Mine were about 2.5 and for their 3rd birthday got Snow White and Cinderella costumes!! OH, MY!! We wear them about every day, and now my dd sees the "new edition" of costumes starting to come out now and we'll probably do a couple more this year for bday and Christmas. BUT....one of my dd's is happy with an apron from Home Depot and a plastic "hard hat". They both like their black cowboy hats and bandanas. I tie them in a knot loose enough they can slip on and off over their heads and wear as scarf. I had a CUTE picture of them in their cowgirl garb. I used it for their birthday party invitation, so we're having a western-themed birthday this year. Lillian Vernon has a cheap box full of dress up"junk" that I bought for them. Also, random things from the clearance racks at Halloween (already posted), but also Easter (bunny ears, etc.). My mom saved all my "cool" beads from the 80's (still tied in the long knot) that the girls LOVE to play with.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
DS was interested in dressing up at about age 3 and still adores it at age 5. I have sewn him several costumes--a beautiful sparkly knight costume, a Wiggle-esque holstein-print cowboy get-up, a shiny pirate outfit, and just today, I am putting finishing touches on the Davy Crockett/mountain-main costume (talk about lots of fringing!)

We also have some standard fireman, space helmet, viking helmet type stuff, and playsilks, but he loves my homeade costumes best, which tickles me to death. I have thought about making 2 of the costumes from now on, so he and his buddies don't fight over who gets what.

I'm thinking sailor next!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Dd was about 2.5
We have the typical princess stuff, halloween costumes, a cat, firemans hats, baseball caps,LOTS of yardsale and thrift store finds.... robes, adult dresses, a japanese brocade? looking dress, dance recital costumes and too big frilly girls dresses
Dd's dolls also have quite a wardrobe of newborn baby clothes, dipe covers, baby blankets and real diaper bags.....much cheaper than buying doll items

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
I have three girls. They were interested at two, especially dd2 and dd3 who wanted to play with older sis.

We have so much dress up that it isn't even funny. It is used constantly around here.

Grammy makes the girls tons of dresses of every size and variety. It is just so great!

They love clip clop shoes (high heels - not mine but plastic high heeled shoes sold as dress up) and necklaces, bracelets, rings, veils, boas, purses.

A lot of the stuff sold as dress up is just the cheapest material and construction and falls apart almost immediately. We bought dd3 a mermaid costume at Target (from dress up section - not Halloween) and it was in pieces within days. Really disappointing. It was $20.

Much better to sew it yourself. There are tons of patterns and you can just watch for good finds on the clearance racks at the fabric store. Or find someone who loves you who will sew it for her as gifts.

Old dance recital costumes are great dress up as they are usually well made - but pricey! I do love the reuse part of that though - not just $50 for one day. Ditto on outgrown tap shoes and ballet slippers.

All our kid Halloween costumes end up in dress up.

My girls love large pieces of fabric and those clips like chip clips but not the long ones? Do you know what I mean? Kind of like a glorified plastic clothes pins? They make all sorts of skirts, sarongs, etc. with them. Also good to make something smaller for a younger child, bunching up fabric in the back and clipping it.

Best thing ever is a basic skirt made of satin. About two feet long with a simple gathered elastic waist. On little kids, "waist" goes under their arms and it is a dress. When they get older it is a skirt. Lasts forever. Oh, Grammy makes satin capes with velcro or snap closure (I prefer velcro as the snaps eventually come off with years of tugging them open) and those are super popular around here too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts