Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is anyone else feeling like a fish out of water in their own closet, in some weird in-between nether world between your clothes being comfortable, and maternity clothes being necessary/justified?

everything i read tells me i can expect to 'show' sometime during my second trimester, but here i am @ 10 weeks with #1, sporting a bloated feeling and a swollen tummy! i live in jeans, but now i have to have gentle waistbands (jeans make the nausea flare up when i sit) and even the bella bands i got so i can unbutton the top button, constrict my waist and make me nauseous.

so i broke down and got a pair of demi-panel maternity jeans! which, i felt ridiculous doing b/c i don't even have a proper bump... if i suck in, the belly goes away. so part of me feels like a total poser wearing the m-jeans... but they're the only comfortable pants i own that aren't sweats.
:

it's an odd feeling, sitting here eating a granola bar, waiting for my belly to 'POP'

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I feel the SAME way. It's so frustrating. Nothing I own fits. I literally have one skirt which is cotton and really stretched out, and one dress that has a high waist. Anything else and I get excruciating pain from the bands. If I looked pregnant, I wouldn't mind wearing maternity clothes, in fact, I can't wait for it.

Uggh. I count on being fully in maternity clothes within a month, my mom was fully in between 10 and 12 weeks, so that's the coming 2 weeks for me. I'm just trying to stay positive until that happens.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
I so remember feeling that way during my first trimester the first time around! I bought three pairs of pants in a larger size than I normally wore, and mostly lived in those for the first few months. ;-)

This time, though, I went out and got maternity clothes practically the day after I tested positive. ;-) For one, I had been putting off getting much-needed new clothes anyway because I expected to be pregnant soon. For another, heck with that, I know I'm going to "need" them soon enough anyway. ;-) And finally, it seems the "maternity" look is in fashion for everyone these days, so it doesn't look "weird."

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
And finally, it seems the "maternity" look is in fashion for everyone these days, so it doesn't look "weird."
LOL!! that's a great point. i have plenty of empire-waisted, blousy tops from this summer to cover my uncomfortable waistline situation!

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Be happy those empire waisted tops fit you. I can't find any to fit me (where the top fits my breasts properly), lol.

I'm in that in between stage as well. I'm 11 weeks. And while I have a bump, I have leftover post-partum weight in my tummy from DD. Grr.

·
Registered
443 Posts
On the jeans front, I found a great pair of "starter" maternity jeans at [email protected] recently. They look like regular jeans complete with button and zipper, but they have elastic at the sides of the waist. I love them! They are low-rise, which some don't care for. I'm 12 weeks and have been in maternity pants for a couple of weeks now. My bulge hasn't evolved into a bump, but I just wanted to be comfy and now have a new appreciation for elastic waistbands!

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
I am so in the same boat. Nothing fits, I'm bloated and I feel huge and everything is too tight but no real bump. ugh. (I'm right at twelve weeks) I feel yucky in everything I own and no money as of yet to buy new stuff!

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
Yep, I definitely look like I've gained about 10 lb in my stomach, but it's not a real pregnancy bump yet. I have a few pairs of pants from before I lost weight, so I've been wearing those. It's weird to have them fit again even though I haven't gained any weight, LOL.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennisee View Post
Yep, I definitely look like I've gained about 10 lb in my stomach, but it's not a real pregnancy bump yet. I have a few pairs of pants from before I lost weight, so I've been wearing those. It's weird to have them fit again even though I haven't gained any weight, LOL.
EXACTLY. Oh i'm so glad i'm not alone. i feel so FAT and just wish it would be a bump. my weight is about the same on the scale but i look 10lb heavier. its so wierd. i hate this stage. i want to POP!

·
Registered
51,189 Posts
I caught a sideways glance in a storefront window over the weekend and was shocked by how pregnant I look! From the top, and even from the side, it still feels like a bulge but it's all out front so it's definitely pg belly. I've been wearing maternity clothes since way back when because I refuse to squeeze myself into ill fitting clothing. Dh sweas I've never had the bulge but went from looking not pg to pregnant.
One of our neighbors just out and asked dh if I was pregnant too so I guess it shows.

I remember with #1 that weird bulge-no bump phase where I would try to wear my regular clothes but they just didn't fit right. Trust me, it will pass soon

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Yes! Exactly. And what fits in the morning is EXTREMELY uncomfortable by evening, as I continue to expand thorughout the day...

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I'm 12 weeks, and I just look H-U-G-E. But not pregnant, just fat. Ugh, I hate it! Right before getting pregnant I lost 25 lbs and was getting used to wearing cute clothes again. Now, I'm back to looking like a slob. I'm wearing the maternity jeans with an elastic band right now with a "regular" t-shirt. Not pretty at all...

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Im there too. My solution is my bella band with bigger maternity pants, thats the most comfortable. I bought a new pair of maternity pants that are under-belly, and they are so ludicrously uncomfortable I put them right back into my closet and went back to the half panel with the bella band, aahh much better, I dont want ANYTHING restricting my lower belly

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.