Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm not sure of my due date so we are doing a vag ultrasound. well..i'm 11 weeks, so it would be vaginal right?

they told me to drink 32 ounces of water and hold it for an hour. did i sign up for the wrong thing? i have to go to the hospital for it, blegh.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
When I had a miscarriage early on they did a vag ultrasound in the ER and they catheterized me and filled up my bladder that way. Ugh.

For this pregnancy I had a dating ultrasound early on at a different facility (I forget how early, but earlier than you are) and they did the ultrasound through my belly. They said they had different technology that didn't require the vag ultrasound. I did have to drink water though.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Odd, because I have read (in a book written by one of the doctors who helped pioneer the technique, no less), that a full bladder actually decreases visibility for a vaginal ultrasound. And I was certainly instructed very adamantly to empty my bladder prior to the one I had in my last pregnancy! (This after having a great deal of water pushed on me by the corpsmen in ER.
: )

Heck, the last time I had an "official" ultrasound (at 24 weeks, so the normal style), I was told by the tech to go pee for goodness sake, because in her opinion it's just mean to make a pregnant woman hold her water that long.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
In addition to my early dating ultrasound, I had another later on. For the later one they said it was not necessary to drink water and they encouraged me to empty my bladder beforehand too.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Several years ago I had a vaginal ultrasound to scope out a fibroid, and had to drink a lot of water, and then it was just delightful as the tech pushed all around my abdomen & in my vagina! thought I'd wet the table.

When we had 11 wk ultrasound (not vaginal) w/this pregnancy, I was relieved to find I didn't need to drink water...now this *wasn't* a vaginal one, and was at a huge, modern teaching hospital, so I'm not sure if the technology is diff or what.

anyhow, although it was difficult drinking the water beforehand with the vag. ultrasound, it's doable.. peeing afterwards is heaven!! Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
With my first prgenancy I had an ultrasound at 9 weeks and then at 11 weeks due to bleeding. I was told both times to have a full bladder because the pregnancy was so early on. When I got there they tried to do regular ultrasounds which did not work. So they had me pee and then did the vaginal ultrasound.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
I always had regular ultrasounds. Even once I had one at 5 weeks and they didn't do it vaginally.

The only time I've even had vaginal ultrasounds was when I donated eggs and they were monitoring my follicles very closely.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
op here
my son deleted my post arggh

i called and confirmed to drink the water and that i was having a vag. u/s

the reason we are doing it right now is b/c i just began my prenatal care. the midwife said my due date was uncertain since i only had 2 very light periods (i'm b/f). we want to make sure the due date is correct so that i have the best chance of delivering at the birth center.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts