Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't remember if I read it here or somwhere else, but I remember seeing a write up (from Dr. Newman perhaps) talking about the education, or lack therof, on bfing that drs receive in medical school. I remember it being very informative but of course I was a dunce and didn't bookmark it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I'm going to try and search for it later...no time right now. Thanks so much!!!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
You were right. It was Newman where you originally saw this. In his Myths about breastfeeding handouts.

http://www.bflrc.com/newman/handouts...ding_Myths.htm

3. Physicians know a lot about breastfeeding.
Not true! Obviously, there are exceptions. However, very few physicians trained in North America or Western Europe learned anything at all about breastfeeding in medical school. Even fewer learned about the practical aspects of helping mothers start breastfeeding and helping them maintain breastfeeding. After medical school, most of the information physicians get regarding infant feeding comes from formula company representatives or advertisements.

4. Pediatricians, at least, know a lot about breastfeeding.
Not true! Obviously, there are exceptions. However, in their post medical school training (residency), most pediatricians learned nothing formally about breastfeeding, and what they picked up in passing was often wrong. To many trainees in pediatrics, breastfeeding is seen as an "obstacle to the good medical care" of hospitalized babies.

This article is 7 years old. I don't know how much things have changed since then, but I suspect not much.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBNovDec99p196.html

Just 58% of doctors responding to the survey received any education about breastfeeding management while in medical school or residency.

For instance, when asked about feeding healthy full-term babies during the first month, only 65% of the survey's respondents said they recommend exclusive breastfeeding for that brief but critical time period. The AAP statement, conversely, recommends exclusive breastfeeding for approximately the first six months. In addition:

Although the AAP statement extensively documents the superiority of human milk, a startling 45% of surveyed pediatricians view breastfeeding and formula-feeding as equally acceptable methods of feeding. Another 17% aren't sure.
Nearly equal proportions of pediatricians agree and disagree about whether formula-fed babies are just as healthy in the long run as breastfed babies.
A surprising 22% routinely recommend some form of supplementation (water, glucose water, or formula), although the AAP discourages supplements "unless a medical indication exists."

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot!! This is a great link to have. If anyone else has more info on this I am still very interested. Thanks again!!

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I asked DD's pediatrician about this once. She told me that the only formal training she got in breastfeeding was voluntary-- she CHOSE to go to some classes to learn how best to help mothers. Nothing was required. She said that most of what she knew was from BFing her own kids, too-- that even the class wasn't all that informative.

It's a sad state of affairs, them knowing so little, when so many new mamas think the pediatrician's advice is straight from God Himself.

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
The organization that grants licenses to doctors should threaten to revoke the license of any doctor who tells patients that formula is as good as breastmilk.

And the medical ethics board should have a serious talk with any medical professional who accepts gifts from formula companies or their representatives.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sustainer
And the medical ethics board should have a serious talk with any medical professional who accepts gifts from formula companies or their representatives.
Our medical center will be starting a new policy in December of no drug samples, you can bet your sweet bippy I'll be finding out if that includes formula samples, and if not, why not!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.