Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just got done with my drs appt. Now I know that I am 37 weeks along, I was charting, we only had sex once the entire month of July when I became pregnant and if I had gotten pregnant by when the dr thinks my due date is then I would have just been having sex when I found out I was pregnant with the positive test. So that is a prelim on where I am coming from. I don't care that he moved my due date as that just gives me 2 more weeks to try for my VBAC before he starts to force another csection on me.

So I have been having bloody mucus plug since Sunday, well when I told him that, he was like NO you have not. Ok well thats funny, I think I know what it was and if it wasn't that then where the hell is the blood coming from when I wipe?
He did the GBS test today which is another annoyance but oh well we will deal with it. But I wanted him to check me and he just ignored me.

THen on top of that he tells me that I am measuring 35 weeks which means that his dates are right. I responded that 35 cms doesn't mean anything being I measured 44 cms at 38 weeks with dd and it is all subjective anyways.

The only thing I can say for him is that he will be the first to admit that in his mind he is always right and it doesn't matter what anyone else says.
But it is annoying me, realy it is. He is one of the only drs in this area that will even let me go for a vbac so I can't really change without HUGE fights, plus being I am as far as I am I don't want to even mess with that.
So his dates have been changed because at my 20 week ultrasound it showed the baby being 11 days behind what my due date says. But when you look at it, at the 20 week ultrasound there is a 10-12 days either way that it can go. Hello he is just annoying.

Ok vent over, it doesn't really matter, I know what is going on with my body, my cervix is starting to efface and I am between 1 and 2 cms dialated that I can tell checking myself so I know that things will come. I am already farther dialated and effaced than I ever got on my own with Araya so that is saying SOMETHING right.

·
Registered
835 Posts
You know your body better than anyone else! Go with your instincts. I went through this with my previous pregnancy, I think my doc had a Napoleon complex and her secretary would call me and scare the hell out me (I almost felt it was on purpose, cause argued with them all the time). Stick to your guns, yes him to death, and do and think what you know is right...this takes alot of the stress off of you. You don't need to argue at this point. Good luck.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Ugh. Well, you're right, on the bright side it gives you more time before he will talk about c-section or induction or anything like that. I am fed up with doctors as well, but that's a whole other story.
Awesome that you're progressing and seeing signs already
Good luck with the VBAC!!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
You go girl!!!!!

As long as you are in touch with your body, then when the baby comes at the time you thought it would, you can say ":p"

This way you can keep putting him off on the C and wait until you know you need to notify him for the VBAC in progress! LOL

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know what is going on with me so that is what matters. I am only going to the drs to make dh happy so I just have to deal with him. But darn it I hate it when they think that they know it all

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Mama, I really don't want to sound snarky here, but please remember... your Dr. isn't LETTING you do anything. You mentioned that he's the only one who will LET you try for a VBAC... while I understand, hospital policy, etc., the long and short of it is that the SECOND they say "okay, here's the *insert drug name here*", you have the right to say NO.

it sounds to me like you and your doctor need to have a few words. You DO know your body best- you said so yourself. Please don't let your Dr. make decisions for you based on whatever policy he's basing the health and success of your child and delivery.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by deuxceleste View Post
Mama, I really don't want to sound snarky here, but please remember... your Dr. isn't LETTING you do anything. You mentioned that he's the only one who will LET you try for a VBAC... while I understand, hospital policy, etc., the long and short of it is that the SECOND they say "okay, here's the *insert drug name here*", you have the right to say NO.

it sounds to me like you and your doctor need to have a few words. You DO know your body best- you said so yourself. Please don't let your Dr. make decisions for you based on whatever policy he's basing the health and success of your child and delivery.
You are right he isn't LETTING me, but he is the only one who will not cause me HUGE problems at the hospital and dh won't go for a HB since the first ended in a c-section. That was his thing was that if my first birth was uneventful that then we could talk about a HB for the next one.

I pretty much just ignore this ob, he is just for show really, I am the one having a baby not him. And yesterday when he told me that since I was measureing 35 cms that his due date was right I told him flat out that he was full of S&*( because with my first I measured 44 cms at 38 weeks adn that didn't mean I aws 44 weeks along. He didn't know what to say to me on that.

I already brought up pit for an induction if I was going too long and I told him in no uncertain terms that I would NEVER use PIT again as that is what I had with dd adn it was awful and its not worth it. I told him that the only thing I would do is that if he thought I needed to go for an c-section it would not be until after 42 weeks from my due date and that at this time I would only consent to one if we failed with a foley catheter first to help me dialate. I think he is starting to really question me as a patient but I am not letting him walk all over me.

I am actually hoping to go on or close to my due date and be able to tell him...HUH LOOKIE THERE I HAD A CLUE WITH MY BODY HUH.

Men they think they know it all when in fact they have NO CLUE!!

Hugs
Jessica

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Your doctor is questioning you as a patient! Don't you love that?!

I hope you didn't take offense to what I said- you DO sound like you have the situation under control, and my words were meant to be more encouraging than they maybe sounded.

I blame the dog across the street and the lack of sleep.

Sorry

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't take it as you were being rude or anything else. I get really frustrated thinkinga bout this dr still today and I need to just let it go. It really isn't worth getting upset over.
He does question me, but that is his problem I am sure he doesn't get it much, not that many people question their drs that is for sure.
There are points where I just let what he says go because they are so annoying that I don't have time to deal with them.

Hugs
Jessica

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Your doctor sounds as though if you went into labor right on the table, he'd say "Well you may be in labor but you're still only 37 weeks." And if your baby was 8-9 pounds, he'd say, "Huh, big baby for 37 weeks!" Some folks just have to be right all the time, doesn't matter what the facts are.

At least he's not arguing the other way and telling you that you're 39 rather than 37 instead of 35! Better for you this way, it gives you more time to do your own thing without fighting anyone over it, right?

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
I'm just hoping that he doesn't treat you for preterm labor if you go into labor when *he* thinks you're only 35 weeks. I'd just make sure that the hospital you're birthing at has plenty of "informed refusal" forms. good luck!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Ok, I am just here to say that I sympathize. My previous OB tried to change my due date and when I tried to tell him I was charting and *know* when I got pg his retort was "well, were you still nursing?" I hate it when I am more knowledgeable than my dr about something. I don't know about your dr but my old dr doesn't put any weight on charting. He acts like it is some old wives tale or something...Hello, didn't you go to school and learn about this stuff?? Anyway, dh was really peeved about the OB blowing me off about the due date so we bailed. I was able to change drs, thankfully. At my first appt with the new dr I let him know why I left the other dr kinda like telling him...don't even go there. BTW, my dr wanted to change the due date based on 1 u/s, when the other one I had agreed with the original due date that I get from my chart (which also agrees with the stupid wheel that uses the lmp). Ok, so my vent is over, too.

Beth

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Therese's Mommy View Post
Ok, I am just here to say that I sympathize. My previous OB tried to change my due date and when I tried to tell him I was charting and *know* when I got pg his retort was "well, were you still nursing?" I hate it when I am more knowledgeable than my dr about something. I don't know about your dr but my old dr doesn't put any weight on charting. He acts like it is some old wives tale or something...Hello, didn't you go to school and learn about this stuff?? Anyway, dh was really peeved about the OB blowing me off about the due date so we bailed. I was able to change drs, thankfully. At my first appt with the new dr I let him know why I left the other dr kinda like telling him...don't even go there. BTW, my dr wanted to change the due date based on 1 u/s, when the other one I had agreed with the original due date that I get from my chart (which also agrees with the stupid wheel that uses the lmp). Ok, so my vent is over, too.

Beth

Beth that is my exact thing, my dates all fall exactly with the wheel, I was charting, and HELLO we only had sex ONCE that month and sperm don't live that long!
My thing with not changing was I didn't want the HUGE fight about VBAC which he was 100% agreeable with me on.
So I stayed!!

He says he won't treat me for preterm labor since I am past 34 weeks at this point, heck I am almost 36 weeks by his dates so he can bite me.
I already know I have a huge fight ahead of me with the peds because I won't be staying at the hospital for no 2 days and they won't be vaxing my babe or bathing or any of that junk.
We will go see our family dr so that no one can bother us when the time is right, which they said at 2 weeks, NOT 2 days!!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Oh I SO know where you are coming from on dr's that think they know everything & disregard the mother's thoughts & opinions & intuition. I had that problem w/ all three of my children, and am SO hoping things go different this time around! Very best of luck to you & your VBAC,sure hope all goes well. Don't let him get to you, it's just his freaking EGO.
:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.