Mothering Forum banner

Are Drs. in your area dismissing alternative and non vaxers?

• Yes

Votes: 71 54.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 36.9%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 11 8.5%
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

· Registered
2,742 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
The final straw was when my then 11yo DD refused a breast exam and I "let her" refuse it- apparently they thought I should force her to be examined rather than trust her to control her own body.

I'm on Long Island.
why would an 11 YO need a breast exam?

· Registered
3,818 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rcr View Post
why would an 11 YO need a breast exam?
i'm wondering this too!

I don't know anyone personally who has been turned away, but I know our FP specifically takes patients who have been dismissed, so it's happening over here.

· Registered
1,350 Posts
I said NO, but I live in Colorado also. I do go to mainstream Kaiser Dr.'s for somethings and they don't pressure me at all about vaxing. The reason I think they don't pressure is because they don't want to get a bad report card from the patient.

I also go to an Anthroposophic MD who doesn't vax his own kids and he has a private practice.

I saw a report that said that the entire state of Colorado is only 60% vaxed.

· Premium Member
2,173 Posts
I'm in sw Missouri. We have been fired from ped practice for not vaxing. The only dr. I can find to take us is the Medicaid clinic (babies are on Medicaid for their first year). I can't find a gen prac who will see children here.

· Premium Member
9,385 Posts
I don't THINK so. But I don't really know much about it. My kiddos are partially vaxed, and we get minor hassles but nothing serious, from our very mainstream peds.

· Registered
4,842 Posts
No issues here in the SEattle area. We do see a naturapath, but I've heard that most dr's here are ok with non-vaxing patients. If they weren't, they'd not be as busy because most of the people I know are at least selective.

I did feel the need to lie in the Children's emergency room about or vax status because my son had scratch and the dr's/nurses kept asking if he was up to date on vax's while they looked at the scratch. They never even bothered to clean the scratch that concerned them so much
:

I stumbled on a florida pediatrician office site a few weeks ago that specificly stated that they would not take non-vaxing or delayed patients. I was instantly sooo thankful that I live here. I will be forging some records if we ever move to such an area.

Lisa

· Registered
1,827 Posts
We are in North Central Arkansas and we were recently dismissed. I found another ped who will see us, but he's not happy about ds's vax status. There are no family practice clinics here that will see ds b/c of his age (too young, they say).

· Registered
519 Posts
Our former Ped in Littleton, CO grudgingly "allowed" us to continue as patients. We ended up switching to a non-vax friendly family med doctor. Wow, it sure is nice to go to the doctor and not get the third degree every time!!
Not sure, but I think the vax rate in south metro is VERY high!!

· Registered
2,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by uccomama View Post
I have no idea, but I would doubt it as I live in notorious Boulder, CO where only 60% of the children are fully vaxed. Personally, we don't go to mainstream allopathic doctors, so this is a non issue for me.
That's a big thing I do miss about when we lived in CO...our midwives saying, "Oh, none of our clients vaccinate" and having a big list of non-vax friendly doctors on hand. Sigh.

· Registered
980 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nummies View Post
We were fired from our first ped for not vaxing. At his two month appointment, when I just said that I wanted a little more time to research everything. She threw a hissy fit and told told us our child would die, etc.
OMG!! Do you live in Tulsa? This is almost exactly what happened to us. Except, she told me that she was ok with letting Rotavirus go but the others were a must. (Oh, and I had till Friday to decide.) We got a new family doc.

· Registered
11,514 Posts
I don't have personal experience because I don't do well-checks. I just take my kids to the urgent care place if they are hurt or sick. However, I was just told that the ped practice I was taking my kids to had changed their office policy to either no vaxes at all or follow the regular schedule. No delayed or selective vaxing. Last time I was there I didn't have a problem but we don't vax at all and I think that was back in June.

· Registered
9,830 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by esaesa View Post
I can't find a gen prac who will see children here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by liberal_chick View Post
There are no family practice clinics here that will see ds b/c of his age (too young, they say).
What is it with GPs and FAMILY PRACTITIONERS that won't see young children????
I recently heard the same thing from a friend in Houston, I mentioned that we were switching to a FP - and she was surprised that a FP would see my younger kids, b/c apparently none in her area will.

So basically, some of you are FORCED to see a pediatrician for health care if you have young children/babies? Yikes.

· Registered
948 Posts
Definitely heard stories of it happening here, but we've been lucky so far - probably because we do some research on the doctor before choosing him/her. As long as we tell the doctor that we are considering vaccinating in the future, they've been fine with it for the most part. I don't feel like that's dishonest - I am constantly researching vaccinations, and who knows - maybe I'll find something that makes me want to do them in the future. You never know (yeah, right)

21 - 40 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.