Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sure! OK-so if I soak the beans the night before, do you think they will be "cooked" in the crock pot by dinner? I will also have all the other chilli ingredients in the pot too.

Thanks you all-- you are helping me reduce the holiday frenzy!

· Registered
43,104 Posts
Yeah, all day in a crockpot should be good. That's how I usually cook my beans. A tip on soaking- I've found it works best if I use HOT tap water and change it a few times... anything to reduce, um, the side effects

-Angela

· Registered
2,184 Posts
Be careful if you're using kidney beans; I read this a couple months ago. It says Uncooked Kidney Beans--Unsafe for Young Children. source: [email protected] It says that the USFDA warns that eating undercooked kidney beans (ones that aren't boiled) can result in severe nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea due to a chemical called phytohaemagglutinin. Apparently, cooking kidney beans in a slow cooker may actually make the beans more dangerous because low temperature cooking increases the toxicity. Who knows? Check out the site for more info. www.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap43.htm

· Registered
2,729 Posts
I know this thread is old, but I just did a little research and found some info on the toxin in undercooked beans.

All of the sources I just looked at said that boiling pre-soaked beans for ten minutes is enough to get rid of the toxin. I'm going to boil mine for ten minutes, then pop them in the slow cooker for the rest of the day!

Yum, Chili!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.