Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seemed to have lost my thread. Or did it get moved? :LOL

I posted last week I think about my extremely dry hair (at the bottom) and greasy at the top. Someone asked me to describe my no poo routine but I lost track of my thread!

I use a small dixie sized cup and fill it nearly full with BS, mix it well with honey with warm water until it's runny peanut butter consistency. I wash and let it sit a minute or two, rinse well, use the same dixie sized cup half full of apple cider vinegar mixed with water, let it sit a minute or two before rinsing. Once a week I would use a leave in rosemary tea..

Am I doing it wrong? Wrong amounts, or do I need to use something different for my hair? My hair is long, fine, with a slight curl at the ends. Greasy on top, extremely dry on the ends.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have dry, corkscrew-curly, mid-back length hair, and have been no-poo for a month. My hair is healthier and softer than it's been since I was a kid - not dry and not frizzy or coarse. I don't know what you're doing wrong, but here's what I do:

Take a scoop of baking soda (less than a palmful) and rub it into my scalp (I've tried while head was wet and dry; not sure if there's a difference.) Wet thoroughly and wash through. Rinse with a whole lot of ACV - I use one of the big ACV bottles (the size down from the gallon size) of water, with about 1/3 to 1/2 of ACV, and make sure I rinse the ends well. Then I rinse again with water.

Maybe you'r eleaving too much reside on your hair? I rinse everything else.

It may be the honey that's leaving you with a greasy scalp. I'd simplify things and just slap some BS on, scrub, and follow with an ACV rinse. Also, don't leave the ACV in too long; I think my hair is dryer when I let it sit there.

Once in awhile I rib some olive or almond oil between my palms and give my ends-mid strand a once-over. That works well, too.

Good luck - you'll find what works - start very basic and work your way up, rather than the other way around!

Jude

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
I have been no-poo for 18 months now and what works well for me is to brush my hair well with a boar bristle or wooden bristle brush to work the oils from the scalp to the ends. I am loving the honey and bs as it feels great in my hair. I "condition" the ends of my hair with an egg and some yogurt mixed together about once a month. Just be sure to rinse with slightly cooler water or the egg will be really hard to get out of your hair :LOL It will take a while for your hair and scalp to become adjusted to the no poo routine, but if you can get over this part it will be smooth sailing soon

·
Registered
10,091 Posts
I was having your exact problem and what seemed to be happening was two things...my scalp still reacting from the loss of poo - hence the greasies, but also reacting to the bs - the dryness. I was using too much bs and that was really drying my hair out a lot...like brittle, sandpaper dry. What I have found is rather than use a paste I get a thick solution that's a little more watery. And put it on my scalp in sections. Gently massage. Leave it on for a few minutes while I wash my face. Then rinse, rinse, rinse...I find my hair feels greasy if I don't get it all out. I also switched from ACV to lemon juice for the rinse. The ACV seemed to leave a residue on my hair. I'm not sure if that's accurate, but switching to the lemon juice has helped a lot. My hair now will feel a little *heavier* when it's time to wash it, but still not look greasy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.