Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok....I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but I will give it a try. For the past few months, my clothes dryer has been staining our blue/purple clothes. They aren't stained when they go into or come out of the wash, but when they are dry, they have these random brownish/yellowish smudges all over them......on the inside and outside of the clothes. Only blue and purple. It's nuts! And it doesn't happen all the time, but has ruined some of my favorite things of dd. This morning it ruined one of my only "nice" shirts that hasn't been sacrificed to the stains of breastfeeding or motherhood. I really wish I knew what was going on.

TIA

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
This is weird but I am experiencing the same thing.

My dryer broke recently and I couldn't afford to fix it, so what I did was sell my washer for $150, and then buy a used washer and dryer for $75 from this lady. I am broke so I have to get creative.

Well, anyway the w/d was delivered to my house last Friday and I was all excited that I had pulled this off.

Until I used the dryer and white t-shirts come out with these brownish smudges. Also my really soft, cottony greenish pillowcases.

I looked to see if the dryer was dirty, but was confused why everything doesn't have smudges...just a few things. We are thinking that the dryer is getting too hot and leaving scorch marks. It doesn't happen if I do not fully dry the clothes. The clothes that are taken out semi-damp do not have this. We are still trying to figure it out.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They dryer is about 7 years old, but I did clean it out with soapy water, and then let it run to dry. This is just so strange that it only happens with certain colors....and not every load.

Must be laundry room gremlins :LOL

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I have always thought that those were burn marks.

I had that happen before and thought it was where the clothes got smashed up against the vent part on the inside of the dryer. That thing gets super duper hot - uhm dont touch it!

Maybe try using smaller loads in the dryer and lowering the dryer temp. That hepled me.

It might also be rust stains from your water if you have old pipes.
or rust from the vent thing on the inside of the dryer.

Amy

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
Grease spots came to mind here...my mom's dryer was doing that for awhile, and it was grease...but since you say it's all the way through, it makes me wonder about the scorched theory. Hmmmmm

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I"m getting these spots too, but on my whites. I was thinking it was rust stains, but maybe it's scorching. That sounds scary! But it makes sense b/c this dryer (just moved a couple months ago and are using the apt. w/d) dries stuff so fast! I guess I shoud use a different setting or something and see what happens. Any updates from others on this thread?

Glad I'm not alone! It's driving me nuts, ruining some favorite things and even some of my dipes!!

Emily

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EmmaJean
Any updates from others on this thread?

Emily
I had my dryer hauled off. I set up a clothes line and I am really happy with it. Wondering why I didn't do this sooner.

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
I had a dryer a few months ago that was doing that, and I'm pretty sure it was scortch marks. (the clothes also dried weirdly fast).
The dryer caught on fire one night!
...not trying to freak you all out, but watch out! Maybe try setting to to "tumble" and see if it still happens...

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Yikes!

Is it hot/sunny/windy where you are? Get a washing line. You will wonder why you ever needed electricity to dry your clothes!

My dh had a dryer when I met him and he used to leave it on for hours just to fry (I meant dry but the effect was the same!) a few shirts -eek. I couldn't believe how hot the clothes were when he took them out!

Now that we all live together I have the dryer too but I only used it for tumbling dds CDs a bit to keep them fluffy. I couldn't bear to think about how much energy it was using.

If you have an indoor utility you can dry there when it is raining one of these is an excellent purchase. If you have a lot of washing you can put it on clothes hangers first so it takes up less space.

We haven't used our dryer for about a year now, its out in the shed in the garden.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts