Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having my fifth plugged duct on the left side, this is my BAD side! It's the side that always gets sore nipples if I'm going to get any, and the only one I've ever had a plugged duct on, and it is always so hard to clear up! For some reason my left side has a wonky shaped nipple, and has all of the milk storage on the underside of my breast, the bottom duct is the one that always gets plugged. *Sigh*. Is there any easy way I can just dry up the left side? ARGH!

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I can relate. I always have problems with one side too. Have you tried taking lecithin for the recurring plugged ducts? I've heard that helps. I've also found that nursing lying down makes it worse, like my breast doesn't empty well or something. So when there's a plugged duct, I try and use cross cradle position where I have more control.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Have you read <a href="http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/recurrent-mastitis.html" target="_blank">Kellymom's page on treating plugged ducts and mastitis?</a> Lots of resources there!<br><br>
If you try everything and nothing works, it is possible to breastfeed only from one breast and let the other one dry up. I would wean off that breast veeerrrrry slowly so as not to exacerbate the plugged duct issue, though.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your responses Mama's! It seems that my duct (always the same one!) gets plugged from lack of lying down nursing, as it often happens when we're on the road (1.5 hours away from Edmonton, and we go once a week at least). I've got some lecithin I'm going to try and some homeopathic remedies, still haven't busted the dam yet!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Homeopath to the rescue!<br><br>
I got my homeopathic Phytolacca in the mail the day before yesterday (whatever that was!) and it cleared up my plugged duct in 5 hours without doing anything else! Thank heavens! No more three showers and a bath a day without results!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts