Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what type do you recommend? i need some 'kid proof' style or a place with a great insurace/replacement policy... fwiw we dont have vision insurance... dh's great idea to save '5.00" a month... wtg hubby...

any good stores? styles? thanks so much

ds loves to read but also is a typical boy and can be q uite hard on items

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Check out LensCrafters if you have one nearby. I worked there many years ago and if I recall correctly they have a really good replacement plan (I think it used to be $40 or so for a year and they will literally replace them every month for free if needed for just that one fee upfront.) They also tend to have a lot of variety and a pretty good selection of children's frames.

Most places will want to put your DS in polycarbonate lenses, because they are the least breakable and therefore safest for kids. As far as safety goes I totally agree, but some people have trouble seeing thru polycarb (I'm one who totally can't see thru it at all, but I have a REALLY high prescription and that makes a big difference.) If your DS has problems with fuzziness or weird colors in his field of vision in polycarb lenses, ask to switch to regular plastic (CR-39). (It's really just as safe in *most* cases.)

Look in those "money mailers" or "valpak" coupons you get in the mail for coupons for vision places. Most places have pretty good package deals on glasses and exam, especially for kids. Also try websites of the larger chains for coupons and specials.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
My dd's are both metal frames(when I was a kid and had them mom only let me get plastic,
). The metal can bend but doesn't break as easily as plastaic does. Where I get them there is a 1 year replacement on the lenses for scratches. Hers are horrible and I need to find the receipt and get them replaces before her year is up. We also got a 2 for 1 deal so she has 2 pairs in case 1 breaks or she loses them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.