Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
So my DS is allergic to dairy (really bad to cheese) and I'm trying to come up with a yogurt option for him as well as be able to keep a lookout for other potential allergies. I'm now getting worried about other allergies with his history. He's 11 months and seems fine with wheat which I've given to him with no apparent problems. He gets eczema from yogurt etc. and cheese (which he grabbed off our plates very fast) caused us to go to the emergency room. He had a small bite of egg and a similar reaction started (hives, swelling) with that.

Yogurt is something he loves. Can I make the kind out of coconut milk or would that be off limits. I don't want to soy so I'm considering almond or even hemp milk as a base.

Are there any other allergens I should be on the look out for given his history?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Yes, there is coco. yogurt you can buy or make yourself w/ a dairy free starter.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Just be sure you know all the ingredient names for egg and dairy, and be careful about introducing new foods. Go slowly to watch for potential reactions.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would it be alright for him to have some soy yogurt? I've stayed away from soy for him because I don't like it for boys. It would be nice if I could just get him some soy yogurt.

I might use a little soy yogurt as a starter.

Did you say I could buy coconut based yogurt? Where?

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
Whole Foods has the coconut milk yogurt. I think it's "Purely Decadent" as the brand... we make our own.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
One thing to watch with soy is that I think 40-50% of kids with IgE allergies to dairy also react to soy, they're highly cross reactive. The coconut yogurt is yummy, and Kathy has a great recipe for making your own too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts