Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's my fault, but my 2.5 yr old nurses to sleep for ALL naps & bedtime.<br><br>
It wasn't so bad before dd came along (she's 1 wk old), but now it's really posing a problem.<br><br>
He's deep in his 'Terrific Twos' and I just feel like trying to get him off the 'Boo' is going to be so hard.<br><br>
How can I get him to sleep on his own? What steps should I take? I know that it will take a lot of time & patience, I don't want to make him feel like the new baby is making him wean, kwim?<br><br>
Also, what do I need to do so that dd doesn't have to nurse to sleep all the time (when she's older)?<br><br>
Please help!

·
Registered
10,706 Posts
I hope you get some good advice here. I don’t have much for you because I weaned my daughter at 18 months and we don’t have a second child so our situation was much different from yours.<br>
My daughter fought sleep (or took 1+hour to sleep) after nursing to sleep wasn’t available and we made a change that worked well. We read a few books and then turned the lights of to, “Say goodnight to Everyone we Love”. Getting the lights off helped her to sleep but it was a struggle. She really likes to talk about all the people and things that she loves so this works well for us.<br>
I know this isn’t the exact stuff you’re looking for but I thought I’d jump in anyway. I hope someone tells you about the book that seems to be popular. “The No Cry Sleep Solution”??? Is that the one? Please, forgive me if this is NOT the one but I have read about a book that had helped some of the parents here.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
No Cry Sleep Solution did have some helpful suggestions about this.<br><br>
With our ds -- at about 18 mos, I started nursing him "almost" to sleep -- and then breaking his suction when he was very drowsy. If he cried, I popped him back on. After a few days of that, I started warning him when he got very drowsy by saying, "2 more minutes and then we stop nursing and just rock." I gradually moved toward finishing our nursing session in a more awake phase. It took about 2 weeks, maybe a little more -- and then he was nursing, popping off, and falling asleep separately from nursing. Then I started nursing and laying him down awake, sitting beside him and patting him. At 3 yo, I still need to be in the room when goes to sleep, but its much easier.<br><br>
Another thing that helped was letting DH do the bedtime routine with him every other day. Or sometimes take over for me after the nursing part was done.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
My dd was a bottle baby that nightweaned early, howwever she's always been very touchy-feely and required someone to hold her and rub her legs in order to fall asleep. We just successfully moved her into her own room and taught her how to fall asleep on her own. It took a long time but it worked!<br><br>
What we did was first move her to her own bed in our room, and someone would like down next to her until she was asleep. Next we sat next to her and rubbed her legs (a book light was handy). After the move to her room we would tell her that we were only going to rub for the first 2 songs on her music CD and she fussed a bit but we would sit right next to her until she fell asleep. Next we moved to the rocking chair after the two songs but stayed in the room. Lastly, we reduced it to the one song and left right afterwards with a kiss. This process took about 2-3 months but now she will fall asleep just fine by herself in her own room within 15 minutes or less most nights. We keep the baby monitor on in case she needs us, and she knows she just has to call and we'll come running.<br><br>
Around 18 mos. old I made her a satin security blankie because she loves the feel of it. I noticed her always holding my bras and my satin bathrobe and rubbing it against her skin. She took to the blankie right away and that has helped greatly in the transition. She can sleep anywhere as long as she has it.<br><br>
Darshani

·
Registered
402 Posts
My older dd was a sleep nurser. She needed to nurse to sleep every time or there was no sleep! She finally started falling asleep on her own when she was almost 3. It happened very suddenly for us. She really enjoyed nursing and is just now completely weaning at nearly 4. My other dd was born right as Jazz was starting to fall asleep on her own so I do understand your difficulties, but they did not last long for me. Tandem nursing is a very trying time for us mommies! My only offering at this time is support - not much advice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts