Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh my ..... how scary!!! My son choked on a small piece of banana at dinner tonight! I am such a crazy mommy about cutting up all his food into very small pieces too. I can't put into words what emotions went through me!

I cut everything so small too! Has this ever happen to you???

The look on his face was so scary too.... he look terrified.... After he was okay.... I gave him the biggest hug and kiss in the world! Uh... ya... not hungry anymore.

Rachel

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelS View Post
Oh my ..... how scary!!! My son choked on a small piece of banana at dinner tonight! I am such a crazy mommy about cutting up all his food into very small pieces too. I can't put into words what emotions went through me!

I cut everything so small too! Has this ever happen to you???

The look on his face was so scary too.... he look terrified.... After he was okay.... I gave him the biggest hug and kiss in the world! Uh... ya... not hungry anymore.

Rachel
My DD did this a ton at that age. It didn't seem to matter at times how soft/ cut up the food was. It's scary- she's 2.5 and I still am right there when she eats and she hasn't done it in a year, at least.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Happened to Daniel when he was really little . . . around one and a half. He was just walking through the room, took a corner kinda weird, then fell on the floor. When I got to him, his eyes were huge and buggy and his hands were oddly flexed. Choking never occured to me. All I thought was some sort of seizure.

Of course all good first aid courses teach that the proper technique for seizures is to hold the child in front of you and scream his name while shaking him.
: I was completely freaked, okay.

Turns out, oddly enough, it worked. He had a dried cherry lodged in his throat and I think I scared the damn thing out.

It was horrible.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I totally understand your freaking out. I was at Jason's Deli and DS choked on a potato chip. He looked so scared and couldn't breathe. Fortunately DH got it out and it was all bloody because it had lodged itself in his throat and was cutting him, too. Ugh. Fortunately they forget these things quickly and don't develop memories of the incident. We do, though.
:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
My DD a few weeks ago, choked on a dog kibble to the point where I had to start back blows. She never lost consciousness, but was face was red and her lips were turning blue. Thank God for 16yrs of continual CPR certification (RN and req for job). She finally gagged it out and I hugged her for a LONG time after that. I NEVER want to have to do that again!

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
I am very sorry that happened. I am so thankful I haven't had a kid choke yet. ds has done some gag and coughing stuff on rare occassion, but not real choking (they aren't choking if they can breathe...they have to be breathing if they can cough). None of my foster kidos have done any choking, although when I was working in a preschool I did almost have to do back blows on a baby (the food unlodged as I was getting her out of her chair). I am knocking on wood here. From my limited experience with that one child in the preschool, I know it to be quite terrifying.

For what it is worth, I do think my ds benefits from me not cutting up his stuff especially small (again, though, I am knocking on wood). He has learned and is adept with a variety of size foods, various textures (as described in http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...uidelines.html, though we didn't take this approach exactly). If something is too big, too chewy, tough or hard, or if he simply put too much in at once, he spits it back out. He manages the size of what he is putting in his mouth, which allows him to control according to what he can handle. I rarely cut up foods for him anymore. He is 18 months.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you 425lisamarie, theretohere, Heffernhyphen, Cardinal, smudge, and Sierra for all the very supportive and helpful responses! I really appreciate them! I went to give him some banana today at lunch and had a bit of a flash back.... oh... my little guy! I love him so much!

Many Blessings ~ Rachel

·
Registered
738 Posts
I'm glad your DS is okay, Rachel! I know how scary it can be, because it happened to my DD too. I was cooking dinner, and gave her a piece of bread to eat while I cooked. She was happily chewing on her bread, and then I just happened to look down at her and she had a frightened look on her face and she wasn't just coughing, she was *choking* on the bread. It scared the hell out of me. I grabbed her and did the baby Heimlich - I was sitting on the kitchen floor, but I put her face down over my legs and thumped her on the back, and the bread flew out.

It happened because I'd given her a big chunk of bread, figuring she'd bite pieces off and eat them. But she's funny in that she likes to STUFF her mouth full of food, and she'd done that with the bread, which then turned into a big wad of thick squishy dough, and that's what she tried to swallow. No wonder it got caught. It really could have been very bad. Don't give your baby big hunks of food unless you're SURE they can handle it. I thought DD could, but I was wrong.

After she got her breath back we both cried a lot. It was so, so scary, and now I'm paranoid about it to the point of driving DH crazy when he tries to give her big pieces of anything. I don't care, though. I'd rather be paranoid than have my baby choke, that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you Oka-san for your posting! I am so sorry that you had to go through this too! I would go to the end of the earth for my little guy!!!

Thanks again!!
P.s..... your daughter is REALLY adorable!!!

Rachel

·
Registered
590 Posts
My daughter has done that a few times. She tends to stuff too much stuff in her mouth. I never leave her with anyone with out going over the baby hymlick with them. I have used it a few times. I am glad your little one is ok

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Ooo how scary! Banana, of all things - who would think it!

My daughter is pretty good about spitting out food that she can't chew. She spits it into my hand. "Ew!" says DH. "Better than choking on it!" I tell him, and encourage her.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts

When my elder son (now 5) was barely 2, he choked on a piece of orange. The whole fam was in the living room, chatting and having oranges, and DS stands up, can't talk or breathe (DH and I are both medics) and then tears run down his face as he looks PETRIFIED.

Dh assured me that Ds would "work it up." I was just ready to Heimlich Ds when he did hork up a HUGE section of orange.

DS still remembers it.

I remember my little brother choking on popcorn, too, when I was a kid, and I've done the Heimlich on a few choking kids, myself.
I am so sorry you went through this.

Love, Penelope

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you CJ 5, jessitron, and spruce for your responses!!! I really appreciate the support and messages!

Thanks again~ Rachel

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.