Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2.5 year old ds was denied speech therapy, even though the Early Childhood speech clinician said he was behind. I'm so frustrated I don't know what to do.

My son can say a lot of words and can even string sentences together. What worries me is that he can't say very many constanant sounds. He also can't generalize sounds (meaning even though he can say "mama" he can't take that "m" sound for other words, like milk, more, etc.). When I read the report from the speech clinician, he stated that "Max's performance today was estimated to be at a lower level than normal for him". I asked what that meant and he said that he knows Max can say more/do more than what he saw him say/do. So basically he's evaluating based on what he thinks Max can say, not what he actually heard him say.

My question is, do I seek help elsewhere? If so, where do I go? Do I just wait for a few months to see if he improves? My dh wants to wait, but I'm so worried about him. I don't know what to do!

S.

· Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for replying everyone! I honestly can say Max didn't "perform" on the day of the eval (it was suppose to be in our home but at the last minute we had to go to the school). I know he can do better than what he did and the clinician was asking me "Can Max do this/that at home?" I hope I answered honestly!

The clinician did say that he will enroll us in a program that will keep an eye on Max. Every 6 months we'll be sent out a form to fill out regarding Max's speech and development so we can see if he's improving or not. I guess based on that and what you guys said, I think I'll wait out the summer to see if he improves, if he doesn't, then I'll take him in again. I'm sure I can "appeal" if I feel I Max needs therapy! Right now there is absolutely no way we can afford private therapy, although if it did come down to Max absolutely needing it I know we'd find a way to pay for it!

TortelliniMama (did you get that name from Sesame Street?!), the website looks like it will be really helpful (the clinician did not give us any ideas of things we can do at home) so thank you for that. That actually makes me feel better that there are things I can do at home for him.

Thanks so much, mamas for making me feel better and for not making me feel stupid about worrying. I think my dh gets annoyed (although he would never say it) over the amount of worrying I do over the kids!

S.

· Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so everyone who answered back in June...

So here's the update. I did appeal because in the back of my mind I have this voice nagging me to keep fighting for him. I know he may catch up, but I've really been trying to learn to trust my mama instinct. Well, I had found out that the original assesment did NOT include articulation. UGH! So we had another assesment last week for his articulation...his score came back and he is in the 12th percentile for articulation...they only take kids who are in the 11th percentile and lower. The speech clinician said that he definately needed therapy but didn't qualify through the school and told us of 2 private practices we could go through. Problem is, we don't have the money right now. We're struggling to pay our bills and keep food on the table. I feel in my heart that I need to get him in therapy, but now what do I do?

Shannon

Oh, and the speech clinician didn't even give us any ideas of how we could work with him at home...so frustrating!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.