Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to find something natural to use or some kind of cream to use in his eyelid because he has excema there.

I thought about Weleda cream but it seems that the skin report site rates it as moderately safe. What else would you guys use?

I thought Weleda was supposed to be really good. There went 10 bucks

At least DH can use it on his hands. He has psoriasis.

·
Registered
47 Posts
weleda baby CALENDULA GESICHTSCREME is a good one!!

but you know, any creams are just a bandaid and won't actually FIX the eczema. i had great success with my baby's excema (on her face) by increasing my protein intake, taking flax oil and acidophilus supplements. bubs is still breastfed so i took those instead of giving them to bubs directly.

good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here are some natural remedies to help clear up eczema-type skin conditions on babies/kids. They are very safe, but as always, test a little bit first to monitor any allergic reaction (this is very rare, but can still happen).

1. Spray cornflower water (hydrosol) on the affected area. Cornflower is safe for the eye area. Do this 3 times per day and you should see a difference in about 3-4 days. (order this hydrosol from www.acqua-vita.com or do a search on the internet)

2. Make a healing powder with 1/3 cup arrowroot powder, 1 teaspoon white or China clay, 1/2 teaspoon comfrey root powder and 1/2 teaspoon slippery elm bark. Blend together. Lightly massage into the affected area. You can also add 1 drop of tea tree oil and 1 drop of lavender oil to your mixture if the powder base isn't effective, but be sure to blend well so that the oil is well-absorbed into the powder (oils could irritate the eyes). Do this 3 times per day and you should see results in a couple of days. (order ingredients from www.lavenderlane.com or www.mountainroseherbs.com)

3. Massage your breastmilk into the area. You'd be amazed at how healing it is for skin, and it is safe around the eyes, too!

Eczema is a tricky skin issue. The root of it is an imbalance within the body, so take an infant massage class (find a teacher at www.infantmassageusa.com), take your baby to the chiropractor, and see a Traditional Chinese Medicine Doctor to get more advice about preventing the eczema. These three holistic therapies will help establish the correct flow and balance of energy in the body. Good luck!

Jennifer

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
i make ointment for my son who has excema it has a coconut oil base. If you have coconut oil you might try dabbing that around the area.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My daughter is 7 weeks and has excema all over her face, neck, arms, torso, and legs. It was so awful looking when she first got it. I started using hydrocortisone cream because the dr. told me too. Then a homeopath told me that was the worst thing I could put on her skin! I've had success with giving her baths in oatmeal. Just putting about a cup of oatmeal in her bathtub and then rubbing on her body and letting it set in (kinda pasty). I can get her near her eyes and it doesn't bother her, I'm just really careful and try to distract her. Once I'm done I do not rinse her with regular water, I rinse her with the oatmeal water so it can keep setting in. It really works great because it takes away puffiness and redness and makes her skin so soft. Also, I put vaseline on her twice a day. It has helped to keep the redness away. Yesterday I bought something from Sprout's (healthfood store near me) called Florasone Cream. It contains cardiospermum and is a natural alternative to the cortisone. I just started trying it, so I'm hoping that it helps clear things up too. HTH

·
Registered
1 Posts
My son had really bad eczema, at first I tried all kinds of natural creams, which worked for a while, but then it got really bad, he was so itchy that he used to scratch himself open all the time, so we had to put socks on his hands and resort to the hormone cream. But I really hated putting it on cause it's such horrible stuff.

But then I heard about this treatment called NAET, I was a bit sceptical about the treatment at first, but it really worked, my son has no more eczema, it's amazing, I'm so happy, no more hormone cream, and he's a much happier baby!
It's really an amazing treatment, it solves all kinds of allergies as well, it was on CNN already and they also show a video about the treatment on the planes of Continental airlines.
I think their website is www.naet.com

So good luck with your son, I hope it will get better soon cause there is nothing worse then being itchy!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I just got involved with Marlo Quinn because it was started by a woman with skin issues like eczema and sensitive skin. They are all natural. You can PM or email me for more info if you like. I'll give you 10% off too to help you with your kids' skin problems! Just ask me for the discount code when you PM or email me.
Sorry if this is like an ad, but I believe these products will help you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
growing up my little brother had excema to the point of scrathing himself raw. it was awful! we were told it was severly dry skin, use aveeno cream on him, and try not to let him scratch.
yeah right!!
my third has excema and these days we know that excema is allergy related. we initially started out excluding wheat from his diet with no sucesss. then we moved on to dairy. that was it. he has scars from where it was. he has NO excema break outs anymore. we recently got brave and decided to see if he could tolerate goats milk. he has not broken out. if he gets anything with cows milk in it he breaks out.
before we knew what was causing it we didn't have any sucess finding any types of creams or ointments to help with the inflamation.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have eczema and had to find something because the steroid creme quit working and Elidel has been linked to skin cancer. The first thing I did was to remove all lotions, soaps, detergents, etc. with ingrediants I can't pronounce. Primarily the fragrance in an item is the culprit. I use BioKleen laundry detergent, Burts Bees shampoo and conditioner, Kiss My Face bar soap, and make my own hand salve (which I do because I go through so much of it...Burts Bees hand salve really helped clear up an inflammation a few weeks ago but I couldn't afford to keep buying it at the rate I use it). Calendula and comfrey used topically are helpful in reducing inflammation. Lavender and tea tree essential oils help expedite healing. Olive oil is a wonderful moisturizer of the affected area.

Unfortunately, with eczema there can be MANY triggers. My acupuncturist (whom I started seeing because of the eczema) believes I have a dairy allergy. I am trying to wean dairy out of my diet, but being a pregnant vegetarian who relied heavily on dairy for upping my protein intake, this has been much easier said than done. As PPs mentioned, dairy and wheat, among other foods, can be the allergy causing the eczema.

Eczema occurs when the body's immune system is going crazy over an irritant. It is your immune system in hyperdrive. You can also consider internal remedies for the liver and immune system, depending on the age of your child. I can't take some of these herbal remedies right now because they include herbs that are questionable to use during pregnancy.

I carry my own soap with me everywhere I go, and that has helped tremendously. Oatmeal baths can help reduce the itching. Cook up a soupy batch of oatmeal, put it in a sock, soak that in the bath water, then use it to rub over affected areas.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much! I will try some of these. Thanks for all the helpful replies

Thankfully he doesnt itch and does not mess with it. I am going to try some things and also maybe keep an eye on food allergies

1 - 11 of 11 Posts