Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DS has what the dr. called fiths disease, a rash all over his body of little red dots that look like you took a pen and dotted him all over, plus very red cheeks, cranky and mild fever. The dr. didn't actually see him, only spoke with me over the phone, I am just not sure what is going on with him, what I should do (don't want to give tylenol which dr recomended) and I am worried because I am 12 weeks pregnant, they were going to get back to me if they thought this was a problem. Has anyone had this and what happened?
Thanks for helping

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
This is what I found at http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz...th_disease.jsp

Quote:
There is some concern about fifth disease in pregnant women. Although no association with an increased number of birth defects has been demonstrated, there is concern that infection during the first three months of pregnancy may lead to a slight increase in the number of miscarriages.
I don't want to scare you, sounds like you're in the clear even if you catch it. They just recommend seeing a doctor if you do catch it, just to make sure. I hope everything turns out ok!

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
It's a virus and there's not much you can do about it. Hopefully you will have had it as a child.

I would call your OB/Midwife about the 5th disease. They're MUCH more up on whether you need to worry. In the meantime, take all the good disease prevention precautions that you can -- wash your hands a lot!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I was exposed to fifth's as a teacher in my first trimester. The school board would not let me work since another teacher in our board delivered a child with congenital defects after contracting the virus during pregnancy -and I was not immune (the union had developed a policy to protect babies after that). Get yourself tested for immunity. I've enclosed a link to Motherisk, They have great information and say it is unlikely that the fetus will be affected, even if you contract the disease. FWIW I was exposed to the disease and never contracted it. It is transmitted like any virus so limit your kisses and close contact for the time being.

http://www.motherisk.org/women/updat...content_id=314

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your help and info on the fifth disease, it is scary being pregnant when something like this comes up. I will care for my little one but watch myself too, I am going to have faith that everything will be ok. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts