Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,611 Posts
well, is he really thirsty too? It's definitely a worthy thing to check out with your care provider because it can go undetected and be very serious. OTOH the urinating could just be growth related. I've seen other threads like this and mamas have said stuff about smelling his breath when he hasn't eaten anything sweet, and if it smells sweet, it could be db. if he ever smells like acetone, skip the doc appt & go to er. That's the scary stuff to look out for, but a lot of kids just go through a phase. {{{hugs!}}} I know kids can worry ya senseless. Let us know what happens!

· Registered
4,570 Posts
This may not be relevant since my DS is not quite 2, but he is sensitive to dairy and pees very frequently when he has had some.

He would actually go once every 5-10 minutes when he was a little baby (before I cut dairy out of my/his diet).

Hope you get it figured out soon!

· Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by harrietsmama View Post
well, is he really thirsty too? It's definitely a worthy thing to check out with your care provider because it can go undetected and be very serious. OTOH the urinating could just be growth related. I've seen other threads like this and mamas have said stuff about smelling his breath when he hasn't eaten anything sweet, and if it smells sweet, it could be db. if he ever smells like acetone, skip the doc appt & go to er. That's the scary stuff to look out for, but a lot of kids just go through a phase. {{{hugs!}}} I know kids can worry ya senseless. Let us know what happens!

THankyou! TWo questions...what would acetone smell like? And what would that mean?

· Registered
10,748 Posts
Know anyone else with diabetes who has a monitor? It would be easy to just do a prick and test sugar levels. Or take him to the doctor and have it done. My kids were tested for it because of drinking tons and peeing, but for both of them, it was a reaction to food intolerances. As soon as the offending foods were taken out, it stopped. But I had them checked for diabetes just in case.

Juvenile diabetes (or type 1, as it's now called) also has weight loss with it.

· Registered
1,611 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WildKingdom View Post
Acetone on the breath smells like nail polish remover or rotting fruit.
yep, sorry! I was trying to post right back, but my computer was not cooperating
:
It means that sugar levels are high enough to be very dangerous. I wanted to post about it not to scare you, but so you had the info. My cousin's little boy had this & they waited for an appt and the doc had an ambulance come right to the office & take him in. they were all pretty traumatized by it and I don't want to see anyone else bang on themselves for waiting. Fortunately he was ok, but he had a week in the hospital to get levels down and stable.

Again, more than likely it's probably just a growth thing, or like some of the pp said, food intolerances are commonly over looked because of the odd responses our bodies have to them.
Good luck!!!

· Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got back form taking him to the doc. His urine tested fine for a UTI and Diabetes. It's been really hot here, and she said that it could just be as simple as him drinking a lot, and therefore peeing more. I don't know. Like some of you said, it could be just a stage he is passing through, or perhaps a food that didn't sit well. Or, it could be stress. He is starting school in less than two weeks(previously hsed).

At least I know what it isn't. I get a little panicky about the diabetes, as it runs on DH's side.

Thanks mommas! I'll check back if it continues, or I find something else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.