Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ds is 7 and has a slight fever, had belly ache after school today and after getting back from a hike at the waterfalls we saw this rash.

http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailsh...ue/t_=59266615

It doesn't hurt or itch but it scares him and he wants it to go away.
I have no idea what this is. Could you moms please help me identify it? It's slowly spreading--- I think???

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hmmmm...it looks like it could be hives, but hives will usually itch or atleast feel warm/hot.

It could be contact dermatitis as well...have you changed laundry detergent or bath soap/shampoo, etc?

Did he eat anything new?

I do hope he's feeling better soon.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Dd1 has gotten a rash a couple of times with a virus, when I asked her ped, she said that often times, kids will get rashes with a virus - hers was when she was younger, but I don't see why an older child couldn't get it too.

It does also look like an allergic reaction - it doesn't itch? With the fever & belly ache, it makes me think viral.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We haven't eaten anything new or any new soaps. Maybe he came in contact with something during our hike to the falls, but his shirt was on the whole time and the rash is only where his shirt/ shorts were-nothing on his arms or legs.
He is acting fine this morning and still has a low fever.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Did he drink from the waterfall?
With a belly ache and fever, and rash, I would also think virus, but if he had some water, it could be bacteria or parazites. Their toxins could cause hives or histamine reactions.

·
Registered
294 Posts
It looks like Fifth Disease to me, but I don't think that shows up on the trunk. I think it's only on the limbs and head. I could be wrong though. If it is Fifth Disease, there's nothing you can do except let it run its course. I hope he's feeling better.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
If your dd has strep, could her brother have it too? I have this on the brain right now, but I'm pretty sure my dd has scarlet fever, which is strep with a rash. She looks an awful lot like that, although she's been a little bit itchy. Her face also looks badly sunburnt, though it isn't, and her tongue is coated white. You could check those things out, they're pretty common symptoms...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.