Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to vent. Or just

DS is 10.5 months.

Seriously, I am at the end of my rope. This has happened once before when he went over 24 hours without nursing more than a sip...but now its been 2 days and I am so darn frustrated.

I feel so horrible, i mean, I know he's not weaning, its a strike for some reason. But I feel horrible b/c i've actually gotten angry with him when obviously he is sad and hurting. So we've been doing LOTS of cuddle times.

he has had a fever for 3 days, up to 102.5. But i am mostly worried about dehydration. I forced him to take milk through a 2ml syringe, and got 3 ounces in that way. He took a sip 2x from a cup, but otherwise refuses that, refuses the straw, bottle, sippy, you name it. Now he's fighting the syringe. We've tried both water and expressed milk. I am pumping 20 ounces a day.

He will not take food except bread and O's. I've tried all his favorites, and new things in case he's sick of his favorites. Nothing. Not one piece of pear or grapes (his favorite always).

I have tried in the middle of the night, no go. I have tried offering every 10 minutes, no way. I've tried just calming down, reading stories, having down time and then nursing. Nope. He just wants to go to bed and go to sleep.

He is playing while awake, but I don't know how long he'll last without eating/drinking.

His nose is a bit stuffy, i've tried all the remedies for that. Saline, steamed room, booger sucker (i can't get anything). I've used tylenol and motrin, and teething meds in case its pain related. He is more irritable than normal.

I just got over a really bad case of Strep, but the doc said its unlikely he has it as I nursed the whole time and so he got antibodies, and also it was 1 week ago that i wasn't contagious and he would have gotten it days ago.

So i don't know what to do. If you read this far, thanks for caring so much. I'm so exhausted. Its beautiful outside and today marks 2 weeks that we've barely set foot outside the door, except once to go grocery shopping. we've been sick on and off since dec 22, so we are quite fed up.

Sigh. I don't know what to do. I know he'll survive, but i'm still worried...

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yup and yup.

He will only nurse in one room in one position, always been that way. we've tried everything to make it more convenient but he's just that way.

Feel the need to add, i do not plan to wean...but I have NEVER liked breasfteeding. NEVER. Never enjoyed it, never found it bonding, i hate it and have since day 1 (doesn't help that we had 4-5 months of thrush from the get-go). I just am so sick of all these problems!
It is NOT easier, it is NOT more convenient, but I sure as heck am going to keep going. I feel its the most sacrifical gift i can give my little guy, for his lifetime.

Just wanted to post that to any mamas that are frustrated b/c they don't like nursing. Its worth the health benefits and bonding THEY have, but I will never like this thing. Sometimes i find myself wishing i had used a bottle as an infant so that he could take it in times like these...but then again, i know that i would lose my will power and wean him. And that's not right.

Ohhh more venting. So frustrated! i read some stuff on Dr. Sear's site and it seems i don't have to be worried about dehydration yet at this point, so that was comforting.

Also, i read on his site that you CAN give a decongestant, and although i'm hesitant to give it, i think i need to so the little guy can eat. (1.25 ml)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.