Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4yo ds started having what I guess are petit mal seizures a couple of months ago. There are several each day, worse right before meals, so blood sugar is probably related. They are hardly noticeable, just a funny look in his eyes or maybe fluttering eyelids, (though once he stuttered through it) never lasting more than 3 seconds. It is most likely related to a bout of meningitis he had around his first birthday. I have done a little reading, but I have a lot of questions.

• I am planning to take him to his pede, but haven't rushed over there yet...I'm concerned that they will want to do a lot of scary (for the boy) tests like an MRI or a cat scan (i don't actually know what that is like). Should I be wary of too much intervention on this one?

• What is the likelihood that they might recommend anti-seizure meds? Since the seizures aren't really affecting his health or quality of life, the intense drugs sound like an unnecessary burden for his little liver and kidneys.

• Is he more at risk for adverse reactions to immunizations? Is he more at risk from a childhhold disease like chicken pox?

• I found an old thread with some nutritional and mineral recommendations, but i would love to know of any particular therapy that has helped other kids to deal with this.

Thanks so much for reading this and for any suggestions.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BIG THANKS for answers, thoughts and support one and all. I will definitely take all these things into account. AND i will still be checking this thread often, so if you just found this thread, please tell me all you know! Thanks again.

i love this board.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
..how have people talked to their children about seizures? ds is just 4, and i wondered if anyone had an idea about how to explain why we are going to the doctor and what the seizures are about. thanks,

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"Yes, meningitis can cause seizures, but usually, they happen at the time, not three years later."

Hilary, how do you know this? Can you hook me up with some medical research on the subject? The epilepsy foundation's webpage listed several possible causes, and the only thing that rang a bell was the meningitis. I am looking for all the documentable information I can find on the subject. Thanks.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My question was specifically about the relationship between meningitis and epileptic seizures. I want to read the science on the subject, specifically the time elapsed between the disease and the onset of seizures. I am not unaware of or unwilling to look at other causes - I would like to first rule this one out as a cause or not. It seems like it merits some investigation, being one of the listed causes on the Epliepsy Foundation's website, and an unusual feature of my son's particular medical history.

Hilary? Are you still out there?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.