Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,129 Posts
I hope you'll get lots of information and make informed decisions. I do know people with success & I know people who have horror stories about meds. There are lots of alternatives out there that may provide relief naturally. You'll have to see what feels best to you as you go along.

I know when my ds had seizures the doctors didn't want to put him on meds unless it was "interfering with his daily life" or until there were more than 1 type of seizure. I guess that will really depend on the doctor you get.

As for treatments like MRI's, you'll have to choose. We did one with our ds. I'm not sure I would again. I guess it was good because it ruled out some things.

We also did EEG's, blood & urine tests.

My son had very intense seizures.....all different kinds. The doctors wanted to medicate, we chose not to & pursued natural rememdies. Eventually, we found that food caused his seizures. He has been seizure-free & healthy for 2 1/2 years.

Since you know your son reacts more before eating, it could definitely be related to blook sugar. My recommendation is to do lots of research before making any decisions.

As for the vaccinations, he could very likely react to them. If you feel strongly about having him immunized, I would suggest that you wait until you firgure out what's causing the seizures and get them stopped before immunizing.

We tried many different therapies. I think you have to find the one that fits. Some homeopaths have helped stop seizures, cranio-sacral therapy can too, as well as chiropractic. Alot of kids find relief in specialized diets. I think every person is different, so, like trying to find the right medication, you'd have to find the right therapy. We did all of those things plus iridology & used lots of herbs & nutritional supplements too.

I'm quite tired right now, but if you want help or other questions answered, pm or email me.

· Registered
2,129 Posts
I think that's a difficult thing because from what I know, most people who have seizures don't remember having them. My son has no recollection at all and when we talk about it he just looks at me like I have two heads growing out of my neck!

I guess you could tell your child that you've noticed him staring off & doesn't seem to hear you or be able to talk when it happens and because of that you are going to go meet a doctor who will probably want to do some tests to see if they can figure out why he's doing that. -- Or whatever
My policy with talking to kids is be honest & simplify as much as possible.

· Registered
2,129 Posts
What Hilary said was accurate about anything cauing seizures.

My son started having seizures at 19 months & it was all food allergies & digestive problems.

I did have to keep a journal....what we ate, where we went, what ds played with, etc. and that was the only way we found out it was food allergies.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.