Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to school today to do my usual Wednesday volunteering. DS1 knows that we planned to remove him from school next week and was so excited!! I wanted to spend the two weeks getting my stuff together, wrapping my head around actually STARTING to homeschool (I am so excited!).

Well, ds1 has apparently had a very rough week at school. Teacher took me aside this am and told me that he's been disruptive, etc. but he seemed to have a great day while I was there... until snack time. She was handing out stickers for "good behavior" in the morning activity as the kids were going out the door. By the time she got to DS, she only had unicorn stickers left (in that bag... she has 89 million bags of stickersin her desk) and he said he would rather have a "boy" sticker, please. She told him that's all she has (liar!) and to take it or leave it. Well... ds had a MELT DOWN... he is just so overwhelmed by all the changes happening in our lives at themoment, that this wasjust the straw that broke the camel's back for him. The teacher went outside wtih the other kids to supervise snack time and I stayed inside and got ds calmed down (sort of...). Then she walks in and says "I am going to talk to you ALONE" and he melts down again. So she turns to me and says "You need to leave. He's acting like this to get your attention" So what did I say? I amso proud....

"If he needs me and my attention, he GETS me and my attention. He is FIVE and has an awful lot of stuff going on in his little brain at the moment" She says "YOU NEED TO LEAVE"

So I said "OK, I'm leaving. And I'm taking my son with me. Oh, and BTW... he won't be back"

WOO HOO!!!! I feel like a HUGE weight isoff of my shoulders now!!!!!

Thanks to everyone here for supporting me through my decision to hs and take him out of ps!!! I am looking forward to this wonderful journey!

Lo

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Wow, I gotta say, what that teacher did and said would be in the dictionary under the definition of

Chutzpadik

A.K.A. brazen nastiness.

As my five year old would say, "jeez louise."

Congrats on bringing him home! What a wonderful example you set for him, and how amazing it must feel to him to know that his mama will stick up for him no matter what. Can you imagine, this little 5 year old seeing the teacher as all-powerful and intimidating and you, his mama, speaking out like that?! What a GREAT testament to love and what a wonderful lesson for your boy.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks
Blush...

I just can't believe I made him go to that hell hole this long. The scary thing is that this is a "good" school OY VEY!!!

All evening DS kept coming up to me, giving me hugs andkisses and saying "Thank you, mommy for taking me out of school!"

Lo

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts

I was still thinking about this while I was out grocery shopping today. I had a similar situation when my son was in 1st grade, and I handled it differently. It worked out fine, but this would have been so much more satisfying
! Congratulations on staying in the moment and taking care of business! This is something you and your son will be able to look back on and feel great about for many years to come. I even think you ought to take some pictures of yourselves during his first week home so that this memory is captured.
Lillian

·
Registered
2,555 Posts

I am so proud of you! You are awesome! I just wish every mama would stand up for their child and give them what they need. This is a truly inspiring and empowering story. Thank you for sharing.

Welcome to homeschooling! You are going to love it and so will he.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You all ROCK!! Thank you for the props! I need them!

So... today at about 3pm, ds asked me... "momma... WHEN are we going to start HOMESCHOOLING?" and I said "Honey, you are learning ALL the time" and he said "really? Cool!" Like he finally had permission to just LET GO of all the CRAP he got from that hell hole. Of course, all day he was pestering me.. "Momma, is it time for recess?" "Honey, if you want to go outside and play, please do... just put on your shoes first" And..."Momma, I need, NEED a property box... what can I use for a property box?" "Um, Honey.... it's just you and me and ds2... you dont' "need" to protect your "property" from anyone else... but, well.. if you want a property box, how about this?" (handing him a shoebox) "OH great, momma... so, no one is going to mess with my stuff?" "Um, nope... actually, you don't have a whole lot of "stuff" to mess with" LOLOL... "Momma... we HAVE TO line up before we go outside to play" "Oh really? Who told you that?" "My teacher... Mrs. R said we have to line up or we don't get to play"... "well... now *I* am your teacher and *I* say you don't HAVE to line up, so GO PLAY and HAVE FUN!" .... DS looks at me like I have five heads.... "OK!" (runs outside and plays)

I think I'm going to like this homeschooling thing!

Again, THANKS to ALL of you whose posts and support made it possible!

Lo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.