Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DS is 28 months and he is trashing the house on a daily baisis! Today I cleaned the living room 2X and it currently looks like a war zone! Does anyone have some suggestions? I litterally can not keep up with his destruction! I know that it is not Dev. Appropriate to expect him to clean up by himself so I try to get him to help me, we make games out of it but some times in all honesty he just refuses or says mommy do it. I don't mind having toys out in the living room even though we have a whole play room and I dont mind him dumping legos out on the floor to play with them.

Sometimes though he dumps toys just for the shear sake of it. a good example is taking all of the puzzles and dumping them not to use them but just because it is fun YK, So then we play match the pieces to the board and as soon as we finish DS puts the back on the shelf then seconds later dumps them again. Or he stands at his drawers and pulls out little people one by one and drops them on the floor then does the same with the cars, animals, etc
: . I generaly try to keep a third of the toys in the closet and rotate them, DH wants to put anything dumpable away but that seems unrealistic and punative.......ANY IDEAS?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
My girls do the same thing!!!!

I just went through a whole thing where I went through the toys and just kept out a few, two of the basics (since I have twins): two puzzles, two shape sorters, two keyboards, two balls, two indoor ride-on thingies, etc.

This hasn't reduced the mess-making, but it has helped the clean-up time. They can help with that some but have a short tolerance for putting-away activities. I notice they are more interested in the toys that are out since there are fewer.

Good luck!

·
Registered
136 Posts
DS did this for a good long while. I think it was just a stage because he is finally coming out of it and picking up one thing before getting out another most of the time with reminders. He is 3 now (just turned 3). I thought it would last forever but it did end! :)

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
sorry i have no advice but my 27 nearly 28 month old does this too. i have taken a lazy option to a certain extent and rooms that really bug me if he empties cupboards (like the en-suite, bathroom and his older brothers bedroom) have gates accross the door to stop him getting in and trashing them as it drives me up the wall too.

the emptying of shelves just because he can... i am sure you know exactly what i mean.

what i am trying to do is keep the mess and toys to a few areas and then focus on tidying those once a day so i dont feel i am constantly tidying up or that the mess is everywhere.

·
Registered
763 Posts
At playschool, the kids sing a clean up song while they clean up. I race my ds to see who can put the toys away the fastest. If he's being stubborn, I take the lead and if he's doing a great job, he wins, kwim? The I tell him he's the best toy picker upper ever! WoW, how'd you get so good? etc...

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TanyaMT
DS did this for a good long while. I think it was just a stage because he is finally coming out of it and picking up one thing before getting out another most of the time with reminders. He is 3 now (just turned 3). I thought it would last forever but it did end! :)
Ditto. It went on for about 2 years and, at 4.5, he still does it on occasion. He's a lot more reliable about helping to clean up now, though. (Where's that *phew* smilie?)

It's definitely a phase. It must be that there's something really satisfying about dumping.

It irritated the heck out of me (being anti-dumping and all :LOL) but I didn't want to put the kibosh on it because it was pretty important to him. I just limited the amount of dumpables, continued to try to make clean-up fun and enticing, and gritted my teeth a lot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts