Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>DS (14 months) only seems to want to eat meat these days and I'd just really like to get a green vegetable into him once in a while! He gets about 60% of his nutrition from BM I'd say, but when he's offered food, it's only the meat he's interested in. I've been sneaking greens into him by putting veggie/spirulina powder in his water. I'm sure it's just a stage but having only given up vegetarianism during my pregnancy, it's making me feel a bit, I don't know, uncomfortable. Anyone one else experienced this?</p>

·
Registered
349 Posts
<p>My 3 1/2 yr old nephew is a carnivore too. He's three now, and understands more, so they do the "1 bite" rule on veggies and stuff, but most meals are meat, cheese/yogurt, bread/butter, and fruits. He grows SUPER fast, he wears size 4, going on 5 (his dad is 6'4") so they know he's using all that protien! Make some meals (like pasta, stirfry) where the meat is mixed in with the vegetables, and maybe he'll accidentaly eat one! Keep offering them, let him see you eat them. At this age, they only eat what they put in their mouth and swallow, you can't force or bribe him to eat anything he doesn't want to, but as he gets older and understands more cause and effect, you can begin to insist more (ie " eat one bite of vegetable and you can have seconds on meat/dessert" etc) DOes he like dipping? (My son does) Try making the veggies into different "fries" and serving them with dip.</p>

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
<p>Could you mix chopped veggies with mince, like in a bolognese sauce or cottage pie? Do you serve veggies seasoned? (Some people flavour meat more than veggies, so it tastes saltier or more interesting, you know?) Would he drink veggie stock? What about avocado? That has a kind of "meaty" texture... sort of...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much at this stage (although, I'm TF, so probably more pro-meat than most!). DD went through a stage of eating pretty much only dairy for solids; now at nearly three she has a very varied diet. Maybe he's craving what his body needs, maybe he's just going through a picky phase, maybe he loves the texture of meat right now; whatever it is, it'll probably go away eventually.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts