Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is this cute book called OTTO GOES TO BED that I often read to DS at bedtime. He loves dogs and it's all about a dog who doesn't want to go to sleep and then eventually does. DS loves to act out each page -- howling at the moon, digging for bones, brushing teeth and so on.
When it's time for the dog to go to sleep and I say "he closes his eyes..." DS takes his fingers to his eyelids and physically closes his eyes to pretend to sleep like the dog.

DS is 16 months and we co-sleep etc. Last night he stirred and I got the boob ready, but then he didn't want to nurse. I rubbed his head... and then I looked at his face and he was putting his fingers on his already closed eyelids pretending to close them like he does with the book! And he was mumbling "cose eye, cose eye" and then fell back asleep!

p.s. If you little one likes dogs, GET this book. It has revolutionaized our bed time for some weird reason and reading this book makes DS settle with no fuss!?!

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I don't have any of the Otto books, but I absolutely
LOVE
Todd Parr. I bought his books before I even knew I had a babe on the way. I wanted them for myself!
But now they are used for a greater cause... I hope my daughter gets into them as well. He makes great "acceptance" books. You can't go wrong with a guy who writes something called "The Peace Book".

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjorker
I don't have any of the Otto books, but I absolutely
LOVE
Todd Parr. I bought his books before I even knew I had a babe on the way. I wanted them for myself!
But now they are used for a greater cause... I hope my daughter gets into them as well. He makes great "acceptance" books. You can't go wrong with a guy who writes something called "The Peace Book".

The Peace book is amazing!!!
That's what got me in to Todd Parr too!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Isn't Todd Parr involved with the TV show Toddworld? Otto is kind of like the new Barney then?
I can't get my daughter into these books. She loves the books by Julia Donaldson...Monkey Puzzle, The Tale of the Snail and the Whale, THe Gruffalo etc....great books!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatbaby View Post
There is this cute book called OTTO GOES TO BED that I often read to DS at bedtime. He loves dogs and it's all about a dog who doesn't want to go to sleep and then eventually does. DS loves to act out each page -- howling at the moon, digging for bones, brushing teeth and so on.
When it's time for the dog to go to sleep and I say "he closes his eyes..." DS takes his fingers to his eyelids and physically closes his eyes to pretend to sleep like the dog.

DS is 16 months and we co-sleep etc. Last night he stirred and I got the boob ready, but then he didn't want to nurse. I rubbed his head... and then I looked at his face and he was putting his fingers on his already closed eyelids pretending to close them like he does with the book! And he was mumbling "cose eye, cose eye" and then fell back asleep!

p.s. If you little one likes dogs, GET this book. It has revolutionaized our bed time for some weird reason and reading this book makes DS settle with no fuss!?!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
That's really cute.
We actually got that book as a gift several months ago, but I've been afraid to read it to ds (almost 2) because I think it will give him the idea to resist bedtime! He does often stall with running around and looking through his books again, etc., but he hasn't yet gotten to the point where he's actively saying "No, I don't want to go to sleep!". I figured I'll wait until it's already an issue and then read the book... It does sound like a cute book though. Maybe there's nothing to be afraid of then?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
My DH and I love-love-love the Otto books! (DD is too young to understand, but she really likes the brightly-illustrated pages.) If you haven't checked out the one where Otto has a birthday party, you need to. It is hilarious!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.