Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>My son is 13 months old and vaxed according to schedule except for rotovirus and hep b.  My reasoning behind skipping rotovirus was that he was home with me and not in a day care situation where the mud butt tends to spread.  I have enrolled him in a half day preschool beginning in september.  At that point I hope to have him weaned or well on the way towards it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am considering going forward with the rotovirus vacc this summer since he will be in a class with 8 other diaper wearers, and with weaning will have a little less natural protection against dehydration.  The reason I am also considering not to get it is b/c I understand that rv is more serious in young babies.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyone experienced rv in a toddler?</p>

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
I could be wrong, but I thought the rotavirus series had to be initiated by 15 weeks. In other words, the vaccine is not an option for you at this point anyway.<br><br>
DD1 got it when she was young (~5.5 months), and we skipped the vax for DD2 even though she's been in daycare since 4 months old. My doctor's toddler got it and did need hospitalization for dehydration, but that's a possibility with any nasty tummy bug.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
<p>Mosaic is correct. The rotavirus vaccine is not initiated after 14 weeks, 6 days, and is not given at all after 8 months old.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts