Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have my 3-yo DS enrolled in a Spanish class through Community Ed. It's an hour once a week. He took the same class last session and did fine. Suddenly this session he's "scared" of the teacher - when I ask him why, he says it's because she speaks Spanish and he doesn't like it. The first class he went to fine, I had to ease my way out of the room, but he had fun and said he wanted to go back. Last week DH tried dropping him off and ended up bringing him home because DS wouldn't let DH leave the room, he'd start to throw a fit and say he was scared. Last night I dropped him off and ended up staying for the whole thing (parents aren't supposed to stay for the class, but they didn't mind that I was there because they were short a teacher anyway). He had fun during the class, but any time I tried to ease my way out he'd start to freak and run for the door, so I just stayed. I don't know what to do about next week, there are 2 more classes left this session but I don't know what to do. I don't know whether I should give up and pull him from the class, try to ease my way out but stay if he starts to freak, or just drop him off and run (okay, kidding, I really wouldn't do that!). Opinions/suggestions?<br><br>
ETA: I think the "scared" thing is a phase, he's suddenly scared of everything these days - daycare (where he has gone since he was 3 months old), going upstairs by himself, <i>daddy</i>...

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
first I'd go in & talk to the teachers to find out if there is anything specific going on that he'd suddenly be scared. Then with only 2 classes left ask if you can stay if he acts like that again. Then not put him in again for a bit.<br><br>
At home I'd work on finding the root of his fears, he may be having bad dreams or something. Being scared could be a way he's found to get more attention. Has there been any recent family changes?

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No recent changes except that I'm pregnant. I thought he was handling it well but maybe I was mistaken. I didn't directly ask the teachers if there was anything going on that he'd be scared of, but while I was there and he kept saying "I'm scared", the teacher he's scared of kinda smiled and shrugged her shoulders like she didn't know why he was doing it, either.

·
Registered
66 Posts
<span style="text-decoration:underline;">Talk to the teacher.</span> Years back, I taught English to adults and children, and it can get overwhelming to the student, believe me. It may not even have anything to do with the teacher speaking Spanish, the problem may be within the classroom. Is there someone he doesn't like? Another student? Also, your pregnancy may be initiating some sort of dependency in your DS. Have a friendly talk with him, be understanding and approachable. Hopefully this straightens out. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
At this age, things that used to roll off them suddenly have significance, KWIM? Developmentally, their ability to discern is changing and they start to be able to see things they didn't used to see, and even more importantly, to imagine things they couldn't before. So suddenly they may realize, "Hey, mom left. What if she doesn't come back?!?" And so on. It will pass, and more quickly the more 'heard' he feels. HTHs!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts