Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DS, nearly 4, is kind of high needs anyway. He is pretty intelligent and very verbal. He has been particularly challenging lately as he is constanly whining and hates to be alone. I mean, I'll set him up playing with something so that I can get some housework done but within minutes he's looking for me or shouting 'I'm on my own'. He constantly wants something and has huge crying fits when he doesn't get what he wants. I remain firm during these crying episodes and don't give in to him but explain why he can't have what he wants and try to distract him and let him know I'll comfort him if he wants me to.<br><br>
At the moment we're having some work done on the house and are staying temporarily with a friend. We've been here a week already and all seemed to be fine. He knows the person we're staying with and there has been minimal disruption to his routine. The main difference being that we all (me, dh, ds and dd) sleep in the same room and I lie down with him while he falls asleep (at home he is in his own room and goes to sleep alone).<br><br>
Now this evening we were going home (the home we're staying at temporarily) and he started crying and saying that he didn't want to stay there because he was frightened. He insisted that we go back to our own house or to his grandmother's. Neither of which we can do. I took him home but he refused to leave my side. I mean he stood beside me at the cooker while I made dinner, pulled his chair right up to mine and practically sat on my knee during dinner, followed me from room to room and literally didn't leave my side. He was obviously very frightened and jumpy. At one point the bed creaked and he jumped and said 'what was that noise?'.<br><br>
I've asked him why he feels afraid or if something has happened to make him scared. He wasn't able to respond. I've also assured him that I'll be here to look after him<br><br>
Is this normal or do you think something has triggered this? How would you handle it?

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Sounds much like my DS; bright, verbal, high need for attention and 4 yo. He is also very sensitive to being scared.<br><br>
Just the other day we were at grandpa's house and DS was watching Nick Jr (a treat b/c we don't have cable or reception at home.) He ran over to me while I was trying to talk to grandpa, and asked me to come protect him. I asked him if something on TV scared him, and he answered no, but he was worried that something might scare him soon.<br><br>
He also runs away if the cat walks up to him and looks at him funny. Ok, the cat did bite him once (didn't break skin at all and it was through a thick pair of pants,) but we have assured him if he doesn't pull the cat's tail or stick his fingers in the cat's ears it won't happen again. He's scared of the cat though.<br><br>
He has tons of other fears. I think bright sensitive kids just think too much on some level.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Sounds normal. Maybe with all the changes going on with having work done at your house and staying with somebody else has him a little upset. Sounds like you're already doing what you can. Just reassure him and make sure there isn't anything making him uncomfortable which from your post sounds like you've already done. Good luck, it's probably just a phase.

·
Banned
4,701 Posts
Does he do better if you play with him for a while first then slowly disengage from him or is he always nervous about being alone in a room for more than a few minutes? You have a lot of changes going on right now so some of it sounds normal for that age, but if this has been a constant thing then I think you should look for other triggers because that type of crying response to playing for a few minutes alone does not sound normal for this age.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts