Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS is 25 months and only gets mama's milk "from the tap" and water in a cup or a sippy.

Lately he hears his friends (who are not still nursing) getting milk in their cups and sippy cups and has been BEGGING me for "milk" even though he has never even tasted cow's milk (or juice or ANYTHING other than water or mama's milk)

I am at a loss. I really don't want to give it to him, but it is becoming a battle everyday we are with a friend. I am trying to ignore it and hope this phase goes away.
:
Any ideas on how to appease him and not jeopardize our nursing relationship?

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Could you put YOUR milk in a cup?

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna
she's TERRIFIED of it....
Just another thing that makes her gifted...
:

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We don't keep any in the house. I used to drink it some. But DH has decided it is GROSS ever since I had a baby and he made the connection that he was drinking another animals' "nursies"

Maybe I can just let him share sips from his buddies just to appease the curiosity? Just like, we don't keep any sugary foods at home or let him have any in restaurants and such... but if we are at a party and somebody offers a taste of ice cream or something, I sometimes say sure. But he knows he won't find it at home...

(except for mama's secret stash
)

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
Giving your child cow's milk at age 2 will not jeopardize your nursing relationship. Does he have cheese and yogurt? It's just another form in a cup.

Battling over it will make it seem even more desirable.

Unless he has a dairy allergy, I don't see why not let him have a little when his friends are.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
... oh another aside along the same lines. One if his best friend's is formula fed and still does bottles of formula (she is 18 months). Well when we are at her house he is always trying to taste he bottles and the little girl is always lifting my shirt asking for "nanas"
:

DS tasted it once and spit it out all over their carpet

I feel bad about the girl's curiosity about nursing and so does her mama. Often her mama lets her snuggle next to DS in my lap when I nurse DS, then she feels like part of the gang so to speak.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmzbm
Could you put YOUR milk in a cup?
:

I would try pumping or hand expressing some for him to have in his cup. At 2, they want to try everything everyone else is doing, so that is completely normal. Or, if you can't express any, try rice milk or soy milk if you don't want him to have cow's milk?

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Since you don't have any then I'd just tell him that
I'd try a little of yours in a cup and see if it makes him happy.

-Angela

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaryLLL
Giving your child cow's milk at age 2 will not jeopardize your nursing relationship. Does he have cheese and yogurt? It's just another form in a cup.

Battling over it will make it seem even more desirable.

Unless he has a dairy allergy, I don't see why not let him have a little when his friends are.
Thanks for that! Good to know

I may try expressing. I only tried once just to see if I could when DS was a babe. I only got out a few drops and bruised myself pretty badly

I never pumped and ended up gifting mine during Holiday Helper time here at MDC.
I will see if I can read up on expressing again if the battle continues.

Thanks to all of you wise mamas for the input!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
My DD, who is the same age as Z, often asks for cow's milk when she sees other kids drinking it. (She also only drinks milk from the tap and water in a cup .)

When she's asked to try cow's milk, I've let her. I pour a bit in a cup and give it to her. Every time she has sipped it, made a face and let it stream out of her mouth.

She's done the same with juice. Says she wants it. Tries it. Spits it out.

I'd probably let him try it just so as not to make a big deal of it. If you really don't want him to drink it, make sure it's ice cold...that alone freaked my DD out!

·
Registered
493 Posts
DS occasionaly asks for "refrigerator milk" (it's soy, but that's not really the issue) and it hasn't interfered with our nursing relationship at all. To him, it's just another beverage. He's 2.5, and it's not a big deal at all. He definitely requests it at different times and in different situations than he wants to nurse.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
other milk at this age won't make any difference in your nursing relationship. My dd has never seen what comes out of my breasts as the same as something that comes out of a cup/bottle etc. (therefore no substitutes are welcome). Currently we don't drink any milk becasue of health issues but in the past if we had it and she asked for it we gave it to her. Of course she rarely drank more than a sip or two of it.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
DD used to like the occasional cup of cow milk, not sure if she was that young when she first tried it though, too long ago.

I'm thinking it didn't affect her nursing.

·
Banned
4,983 Posts
my ds will be three in a week and drinks a small glass of cows milk for breakfast because his big sister has a glass. He is CLW and it hasn't affected his nursing. He used to not like the taste of cows milk and I was very happy. He knows the difference between them. good luck!

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
My DS is almost 3.5 and has been drinking cow's milk and juice for probably 2 years now. It certainly didn't have any effect on our nursing relationship at all, he nursed strongly until very recently, when he cut down to just bedtime and morning. At 2, I think you're probably safe to let him try it, unless there are allergies or other issues. If he's anything like my DS, the more you tell him he can't have it, the more he's going to want it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.