Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the first 6 mo of DS's life, he was absolutely, off-the-charts huge. The thing is that he hasn't really grown since then. He's still about 22 lbs. and he's only "stretched out" a couple inches.

Anyhow, now DS has been sick for about a week and BFing exclusively. Suddenly, everyone--friends, family, DH--is suggesting that DS really needs to wean. I'm anxious about going in to see the pediatrician, because he was already suggesting weaning when DS was 15 mo and not showing any growth on his charts. (Our ped. supports EBF in general, but discussed our situation as a "special case.")

I think what's most undermining my confidence is seeing DH's change of heart. And I'll confess it makes me nervous to watch DS's little playdate friends growing while he is not.
Has anyone had a similar experience? Would it affect DS's eating habits to limit nursing sessions?

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I see that you ds is about 19 months? My dd is too, and I doubt she weighs more than 22 lbs. To me he sounds normal. And I think that breastmilk is the absolute best thing for him right now. He is getting tons of calories and nutrition from it. I dont think he will eat more if you limit nursing. You'll just end up with a frustrated toddler and a frustrated mommy. Maybe offer some high fat healthy snacks? Like avocado? Or add a teaspoon of evoo to his veggies or pasta? He still needs milk, and yours is the best kind for him. HTH>

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Well, if you feel that there is something wrong, then by all means have it checked out. But from what you're describing, I wouldn't worry. Your ds sounds like my dd. She is 17 months and 21lbs. She has only gained one pound since she was 10 months old. She went from being in the 90th percentile for weight at 2 months old to being in the 5th percentile (I think that's where she is now, someone correct me if I'm wrong). But she's perfectly healthy and happy. I don't think you should wean him.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
ds is 26 months and hasn't tipped the scales over 26lbs in over a year. i'm not worried in the least... he tends to bounce up and down around 25-26 lbs (with teeth or a cold or whatever). he's just very busy, very fast metabolism, eats like a horse (including breastmilk whenever he can get it!), poops and pees just fine.

dd was 18lbs on her 2nd birthday, and had been for a year before that. i think my kids just don't gain much in their second year because they're doing so many other things.

trust your instincts! if your kid is obviously healthy, happy, curious and interacts with you, then don't let anyone get you down. YOU know your baby best, don't ever forget that!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
What did you and DH look like as babies/toddlers? How did you grow? Do you have lots of baby pictures to look at, to see how fast/slow you guys grew?

How tall IS he? 22 pounds sounds fine for 15? months old.

Our doc didn't have an issue with DS going down in percentiles, it's utter nonsense to think that a child's body will exactly follow ONE curve and one curve only. I believe that the curves are based on AVERAGES anyway, not one child's growth pattern, ya know?
:

Your babe has been sick, and has been doing what his innate intelligene is telling him to do (go for the highest quality food available, which comes complete with antibodies), and the people around you think you should STOP allowing him access to that food? I dunno, if that were happening to me, I might take DS for a vacation for a couple weeks, give myself a chance to cool off before talking to these people...
:

When my guy was sick I was SO glad to "still" be nursing him, b/c it was what his body craved, needed, was meant to have access to...I know he'd be a child who got sicker, far more often, if I b'milk wasn't still available to him, and if I were a person to limit his intake of it...

And as the PP said, b'milk is higher in calories and fat than almost any other food (avocados being the only one that comes to mind), so you'd have to pack a LOT of solid food into him, to rival what he can get from your milk...

By the way, he's developing fine, right? All the milestones, he's filling out, his body is changing, he has muscles, can move in appropriate ways, etc, right? Don't forget that that is part of growth!

By the way, you might consider looking around for a new ped, b/c if you have a ped that you're worried to see, you need a new one...

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Okay how would it make sense if you want a kid to GAIN weight to take away one of the most calorie and nutrient rich foods? Explain THAT logic to me.

My dd didn't gain a pound from 9 months until 22 months. Know what? She's fine.

-Angela

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am so glad to find this thread!

Dd´s ped told me to limit her nursing during the day b/c she is underweight. She's 19 months old, 34 inches and 24 lbs. A year ago, she was in the 90th percentile for height and weight, but has since dropped weightwise (not in height) to the 25th. This year, of course, she learned how to crawl, how to walk, and has suddenly gotten really busy with life and less interested in food than before. She still eats, some. But she always wants tete. DD is developing normally, she appears to be healthy, but now I am worried.

And, with a temperament like dd's, if I limit nursing during the day, she will be so mad at me, our entire family will suffer, and she would probably wind up weaning completely. It's too early for that, especially if she doesn't want to!

I don't know how to fatten her up, I just try to offer high calorie and high (good) fat foods often. She won't sit down to eat, for the most part, so I chase her around and feed her as she plays, which I hate, but I'd rather do that than wean her!

We were just on a trip and she caught a nasty virus, the ped there made some negative comment about my still nursing her, but when she was almost hospital-level dehydrated and could ONLY nurse, the same ped said that was a blessing!

I don't want to limit her nursing, but she does always want to nurse just before meals, even if I try to offer food earlier, to cut in before the hunger does. Do you think nursing is keeping her from eating?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I agree with the OPs. DS is 14 months and only 22 and something oz. He was huge when he was a "baby" but his growth has really slowed down. The thing is that he eats like a mad man and nurses on demand still so I am not worried. Seems like it is a pretty normal thing to me

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for all the support/information. I think something that's affected DH's attitude is that we have a friend who's DS went through a huge growth spurt immediately after weaning. I consider that a coincidence. Of course, everyone else sees a direct cause-and-effect relationship (weaning=growth spurt). Doesn't it sometimes feel like everyone's looking for more justification for weaning? (My SIL actually suggested that DS's sick stomach was directly caused by BM!)

Anyhow, DS is absolutely on-track in every other way. He's 18 m/o and has a 150+ word vocabulary. He runs, climbs, slides down slides and jumps on the bed. Geez, even writing this, I feel silly... I always swore I wouldn't be one of those parents who worry about the "experts'" timelines and charts...

I think I'm just anxious for DS to be 100% again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just went back through the emails I send my family monthly about the kids and found that DS, now 4, was also “extremely underweight” at exactly 19 months. Granted, he was skinnier than DD, but I think it was the same phenomenon. Maybe the ped is using a chart that compares my kids to formula-fed kids, in any case, it is nice to have your confirmation of my beliefs. I am certainly not weaning now. Thanks for being there!

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I think the logic is that nursing toddlers are not eating enough and are not drinking cow's milk (which for some strange reason pedis think is necessary for a healthy child
: ), sometimes this might be true -- but weaning to make a toddler eat and gain weight is backwards IMO. As for weight, those weights seem fine to me -- but my experience has been with sick kids that I didn't know about.

I would try and make sure that at nearly 2 yrs old the child is eating 3 meals (granted that might be through out the day and not in 3 sittings and 1T to 2T is a serving of veggies and over the time frame of 2 weeks is getting the proper amounts of foods and nutrition).

At 2yrs old bfing IME was more for comfort than for hunger, but I only have my own kids to base that opinion on.

If your dh is concerned you can say look, dc eats and show him a food log. It would also be helpful in the event the pedis become overly concerned, you have a record of what your dc eats and how often he nurses.

You can't put kids in a mold and have them all come out the same... So try not to worry, unless your gut is trying to tell you something.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Just wanted to chime in as another whose dd hasn't gained much since about 15 months (she's 30 months now, maybe 1-2 lbs heavier than at 18 months). Nursing has nothing to do with it, and they generally don't gain much in the second year. If there is a problem, weaning is NOT the answer. Trust your intuition and get a second opinion (preferably a provider knowledgeable about so-called "extended" breastfeeding) if you feel something is off.

My one piece of advice would be to make sure you are offering him foods at mealtimes (or whenever you eat, etc.) even if he's already nursed. In other words, if he wants to nurse, let him, then offer other foods. My dd will often nurse in the morning and then turn right around and eat a whole bowl of cereal or whatever. This has developed in the last 6 months or so. Also provide snacks to "graze" on throughout the day. Maybe he'll start being more interested if you offer more (but don't *replace* nursing sessions with snacks, if that makes sense).

Good luck!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Heres my take. My pediatrician wasn't freaked out at all as my daughter declined on the H/W charts. He told me that He told me that breast fed babies always gain quickly when they are young and are a little bigger than normal and then drop down a little as they grow. He suggested giving her a bit of EFA and some rice with butter.. etc and feeding her before nursing. I doubt that your baby isn't getting enough nutrition if he is eating solids. Unfortunately formula babies are just a lot fatter and that throws off the H/W curves drastically IMHO.

·
Registered
937 Posts
My DS has been lossing wt for the last 6 months. He was up to 24 lbs at 15 months and at 21 months he is 22. He was 29" at 15 months and 33 at 21months. The ped is worried and has encouraged a high fat diet (you should see what she recommened sugary stuff, milk shakes, whole milk, ect. anyway we have resisted and are continuing to give him a balanced diet and BFing 3-4 times a day. He is otherwise happy and healthy. I think that since he was an overwt baby he is now just thinning out. I wouldn't wean beacuse of his last of wt gain. If you are concerned try adding some new foods to his diet and see how he does. Also if he has recently started being more mobile this could have alot to do with his wt.

Good luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.