Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4 yr old DS has been saying G** D*** when someone, usually myself gets onto him about something little, like picking up a straw. How can I get across to him to stop? This is very upsetting! Five min. ago he said it out of nowhere,a nd for no apparent reason. He screams that he hates me and yells in my face when I try and talk to him about it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
5,982 Posts
I see two issues, one being him saying a word that might be offensive, and then the issue of him angrily yelling at people who make a mistake or who correct his mistakes.

As far as swear words, I taught ds to say them only at home around dh and myself. I said bluntly that if he used the word in front of grandma or a waiter it would cause them to be angry and upset towards him and I would not be able to fix it. He caught on fast to that.

Yelling and saying angry things to people, that was really something that bugged me too. I would consistently get down on his level when he did it and say "Hey, that yelling voice is not okay with me. You can say it like this instead (say what you'd like him to say in acceptable tone)." Personally I walked away from him if he kept up an angry yelling attitude. Especially at that age (4 and up). I don't like it and sometimes the only way to make it clear how much I disliked it was to leave the room. But I only did that after talking to him and offering other tones of voice he could use.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I don't know your religious position, but maybe converse with him about how that word affects religious people. If he knows he is seriously offending people in a way just d**** wouldn't, would that help?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts