Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cross posted in Dental.

So now he's going to have to go back and get it taken care of. Dentist said that he needs to brush more often. We try to brush them twice a day but that doesn't always happen. I feel so awful for the little guy. Now he's going to have to get a shot in his mouth to numb the area and fix the cavity!! My FIL is the dentist, so the experience won't be so bad, but I still feel horrible for allowing this to happen.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by soccermama View Post
Cross posted in Dental.

So now he's going to have to go back and get it taken care of. Dentist said that he needs to brush more often. We try to brush them twice a day but that doesn't always happen. I feel so awful for the little guy. Now he's going to have to get a shot in his mouth to numb the area and fix the cavity!! My FIL is the dentist, so the experience won't be so bad, but I still feel horrible for allowing this to happen.
I wanted to reassure you that you didn't necessarily cause the cavity! I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses on the Dental forum, but I do have a few suggestions. Are you sure having your FIL treat your ds is the best idea? I know that can get a bit uncomfortable, but perhaps getting another dentist or at least a 2nd opinion is better? How old is ds?
It's very hard to always brush a toddler's teeth properly; ours squirms, complains, and fights it. A few ideas: stop giving juice and sweets or any sticky sweet foods and use xylitol. I've read on the dental forums that small cavities can remineralize...using nutrition, xylitol and other treatments. Unless this cavity needs to be treated immediately (and I would get a 2nd opinion from a pediatric dentist), I would try to treat it for a few months using an alternative method first.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Teeth brushing isn't an option here and we let the kids know that. They went through a few phases where they didn't want their teeth brushed but we brushed them anyways. They soon learned that it has to be done and throwing a fit doesn't get them anywhere.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmk1 View Post
I wanted to reassure you that you didn't necessarily cause the cavity! I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses on the Dental forum, but I do have a few suggestions. Are you sure having your FIL treat your ds is the best idea? I know that can get a bit uncomfortable, but perhaps getting another dentist or at least a 2nd opinion is better? How old is ds?
It's very hard to always brush a toddler's teeth properly; ours squirms, complains, and fights it. A few ideas: stop giving juice and sweets or any sticky sweet foods and use xylitol. I've read on the dental forums that small cavities can remineralize...using nutrition, xylitol and other treatments. Unless this cavity needs to be treated immediately (and I would get a 2nd opinion from a pediatric dentist), I would try to treat it for a few months using an alternative method first.

I know and DS is the same way - squirmy, in a hurry, etc., We do the best we can.

FIL has been doing this for over 30 years and I couldn't imagine DS going to another dentist right now. He adores his paw paw and did very well in the chair today. FIL is a general dentist and treats other kids of all ages.
He didn't say that the cavity was caused by candy or other sweet treats, just need to brush a little closer, not really more often. I'm not so sure a 2nd opinion is in order, but thank you for your suggestions.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I would second the suggestion of waiting awhile and not treating it right away, unless it's already at the point of being, you know, REALLY bad.

When DS was very young, maybe 3, he had his first dental appointment. They told me he had SIX cavities and that I was naive and wrong for using fluoride-free toothpaste with him and needed to get him on fluoride right away. They also wanted him back in a couple weeks to fill them.

I never made the appointment. And maybe 6 months or a year later, we went to another dentist. Why so long? It didn't seem to bother him, so I kind of forgot about it. Anyway, when we went to a new dentist, he said yup, he's got some cavities. Two cavities, and just little ones.

So I don't know if the first dentist was a quack, or if they somehow healed over that time (we weren't using xylitol or anything). And I'm sure that your own FIL isn't trying to scam you! My point is just that... there's not really any harm in waiting. There's a chance it may heal (I personally haven't read the research on that, but many folks do say it), or if it doesn't, you might feel less squeamish about the needle and freezing etc for a child who isn't QUITE as young as he is now.

Kids get cavities. It's not your fault, really. When I was a kid I had HORRIBLE dental hygiene. It's gross to admit it, but I went a few years where I might have brushed my teeth like once a week... and only because, you know, mom was watching me... I think in my late elementary and middle school years. I just hated doing it SO MUCH. I think maybe I had sensory issues or something.

Anyway, I'm sure my teeth were gross, there was always plaque and tartar to scrape off at the dentists, I'm sure I had bad breath and I had bleeding gums (not good).

But cavities? Nary a one.

And not due to a healthy diet, either. I had food issues too lol...

I didn't have a single cavity until I was like 19 years old, and I probably had the worst dental hygiene of anyone I know.

My first husband, who always took care of his teeth, has a mouth full of metal. My aforementioned son takes after his father. Despite the questionable diagnosis of that first dentist, he has had numerous cavities already (he's 10), including one that got abcessed. His dental hygiene is not pitch-perfect, but it's decent, and is certainly better than mine was at that age. And he eats a good, healthy diet.

I really believe that there is more genetics and things like mouth chemistry at play with cavities than dentists tell us.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
H and I discussed it further tonight and he mentioned that if we've gotten this far and DS has never had any health issues, developmental issues and just has ONE cavity? Then we're doing a pretty darn good job!!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by soccermama View Post
H and I discussed it further tonight and he mentioned that if we've gotten this far and DS has never had any health issues, developmental issues and just has ONE cavity? Then we're doing a pretty darn good job!!
Health issues and developmental issues are not a result of "good" or "bad" parenting.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy View Post
Health issues and developmental issues are not a result of "good" or "bad" parenting.
I realize that. I didn't mean to point the finger or anything like that or make an assumption! We understand a little better now that all kids get cavities and that it just happens. I guess what I was trying to say is that we're lucky in the sense that this is the only major thing that has happened with DS since he's been born that we're needing to take corrective measures on. We're now more educated to take the proper precautions.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diamonds4Eva View Post
Yeah, no matter how careful you are about your little one brushing and eating "healthy"... kids naturally have such soft enamel. It's also frustrating bc it's not just sodas and candy that damage their teeth... also anything acidic, which includes things we encourage them to have like fruits, juices, apple sauce etc... can erode their enamel!

Did your dentist recommend any specific toothpaste for DS to use?
I would recommend you look into the new ProNamel toothpaste for kids... it helps re-strengthen tooth enamel. Have you heard about this one?
I think we're using something similiar to that now. For the longest time, DS wouldn't touch it and would only use the Thomas the Train toothpaste because he liked the taste. But now that he knows that he has a cavity, he likes brushing with the new toothpaste. It's a Sensodyne toothpaste that is especially for kids - helps fight cavities and the whole bit!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diamonds4Eva View Post
Cool... that's great that he understands how important it is to keep his teeth clean and healthy! Looks like you're on the right track

Just FYI for next time... you can actually print out a $1 off coupon from their website... it's www.pronamelforchildren.com

LOVE coupons. Thanks so much!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.