Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Zizi is the French term for penis
)

Ds has recently started telling me his "zizi feels funny" during diaper changes when he has an erection. I have to admit I'm a bit caught off guard and I'm not quite sure what to actually tell a 2 1/2 year old about it!

What did you tell your ds?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Tell him the truth? I can totally understand how it's a bit awkward though.
"It's a normal, natural reaction. There's some extra blood in there right now. Would you like me to wait until it's back to normal before we put your diaper back on?"
No need to get into the mechanics of sex at this point though...

Also, I would call it his penis (I can't make accents on this keyboard). But, there's another thread on here about such things...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, we do use the word penis as well but zizi is so commonly used in France - even in hospitals and at the ped's office - that we use that as well. And ds seems to love the word

I tend to be very open and comfortable talking about this kind of thing and I know it's totally normal for him to be exploring his body right now so I don't know why I feel so awkward about it...

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Diaper changes feel nice, nothing embarrassing about that. I suggest keeping a very happy approach. Warm smiles, and narration: "now we wipe your bottom, all clean, here's the fresh diaper, oh, you have an erection, wow, all done!" Lots of warm smiles. You can ask, does that feel nice.
Also, body awareness is there, and pleasure of being undiapered- time to start using the potty?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Micah giggles when we change his diaper if he has an erection, but hasn't asked about it. I think I would lean toward simple truth on this one.

As far as zizi in lieu of penis, considering you are IN France, I don't think that it is an issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by petitchou View Post
(Zizi is the French term for penis
)

Ds has recently started telling me his "zizi feels funny" during diaper changes when he has an erection. I have to admit I'm a bit caught off guard and I'm not quite sure what to actually tell a 2 1/2 year old about it!

What did you tell your ds?
I am about to become a dad, my ds is likely to arive in aug. Hope to encourage you to be comfortable with these things it is all normal. Sadly my parents reacted very negatively to this normal function of my body when changing, bathing, ect. It has hurt me alot and still affects my sex life. I suggest that you can find ways to show him that you fully approve of his penis whatever state of shape it's in. He can sense whatever your emotions, verbal, and physical are saying to him so being fake is not going to work. You must be youself.That is the easiest and clearest language for him to understand, I'm sure you and many others would agree. We plan to assure my son that his penis is normal and that he can and should be proud of it. He may need to be reminded that it doesn't do bad things. It can only do what it is made to do and that is just what his is doing; that message is enough to solve or paciffy their curiosities. Making sure that his clothing and diaper is roomy enough for his erections is likely to help him be comfortable, and so, then he may not even be aware of it happening. If you see that he notices these things, treat it like he has learned a big word and praise him like you would for any other achievement.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Excellent post, haroldpapa; thank you for the male perspective.

My second son was born UC three weeks before my 43rd birthday after 2 years of TTC via at home inseminations with a known donor. It was kind of an eye-opener for me to hear a parent using euphemisms and evasiveness when her five year old was asking questions about his genitals while I was still on the hormonal postpartum high. If ds had been a girl, I would have wanted her to be proud of her amazing life-giving organs, so how could I go back to thinking of male genitalia as something smelly, embarassing, yucky and secret?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.