Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man am I pooped. My candle isnt lit on both ends its a friggin road flare!
I think I have actually stretched time so that you can now do more in a week than was posible before. I'm a SAHD, 4 year old and 2 year old girls, and let me tell you the 2 year old is TWO! She can be a royal @#$%#!
: I cant wait till she outgrows this stage.
Anyway...I work 32 hours a week at Home Depot, 7-midnight 3-4 nights a week, and 16 hours every weekend. I usually have side jobs after work on the weekends and the evenings I dont work I spend working on the house. Being Seattle and all you only have so much time to do roofing, framing, etc.. before you start getting wet. My wife...what's her name?....I have a picture of her in my wallet...oh yea..TERRI! that's right...Shes the best. She knows that we are on a tight remodel schedule and if we want to beat the rain we need to keep on it. She works all day and comes home to the kids and myself, 1/2 hour later I'm out the door. No complaints. I LOVE her. However I MISS her. It feels like we are both single parents, we hardly ever get to do stuff all together as a family. I make sure we all sit down together for dinner as a family every night and thats nice but MAN I need to hit the lotto or something.

Out of a 168 hour week.
Work: 32hours
SAHD: 90hours
Sidework: 16hours
Remodel: 20hours

That leaves 10 hours a week for sleep.

I should double check my life insurance....

At some point I would like to see my wife, (not asleep) and spend some time with her. Oh yea there's that thing men and women like to do together, alone, what's it called again.....Sex! that's right. I would like to do that again. But you need to be alive for that right.

I can't wait for winter....

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I know how you feel,but am a single-mom so there isn't the added misery of not see-ing my partner. It's just work work work, I hope it eases up for you both and you get some time soon. Try not to be too work-motivated if you can help it, I understand you have got to fix your house up and all. Maybe in a bit you could just pull out the stops and make a holiday happen or at least some time out.(you deserve it) Good Luck.

·
Registered
175 Posts
wow, that sounds really stressful...makes me feel a little lazy...I want to tell you to simplify your life...and start surfing...but that would be like someone trying to me to do more...

I have one 3 year old and a boxer...and a very relaxed schedule and sometimes my life feels stressful...you're way tougher than me...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I grew up surfing in San Diego. Ocean Beach to be exact and it is the single biggest thing I miss. That and great mexican food.

·
Registered
175 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Moose, I here you.
Man, we gotta get a beer one of these days!
I just finished a 2 year remodel of our house in West Seattle.
It sucks now (belive me I know) but when its over and you're reading the newpaer on your front porch it'll be all the more enjoyable.
SB

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, a couple of Guinness and the world does look alot better.

Your right we should hook up some time soon. I'll PM you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
ahh, beer. wasn't it benjamin franklin who said it was a gift from the gods... nothing like a fresh pour from the local taps to make everything all right again. good luck with the stamina...

jon

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Moose, can you cut down on the side work? even a little? A few hours? Or, at the Home Despot? Every hour makes a world of difference I've found. my partner and I have been on the opposite schedual thing befor. And, it sucks. Shave the time off of work. Wafer thin. Gain the time at home. Is good for yoo.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraggleRock
ahh, beer. wasn't it benjamin franklin who said it was a gift from the gods... nothing like a fresh pour from the local taps to make everything all right again. good luck with the stamina...

jon
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Ben Franklin

I have been lucky enough to have actually had a pint or two at the Green Dragon in Boston where our founding fathers conspired to form a new country over a pint or two themselves

Tata- I am actually cutting back a bit at HD. They want me to stay around and go fulltime when I can, they are grooming me for management. I told them they were burning me out and they are letting me adjust my schedule so I have more free time.

Thanks for all the support guys and gals.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"As a temporary measure to help the forum return to it's intended focus, all new threads posted to this forum will first pass through a moderation queue for review and approval before appearing on the forum list for discussion."

So.....When will the guys be trusted to post without "approval"?

Not to be a butthead
but the "Moderation" thing is really lame.

Or is it just me?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I guess I've gotten pretty lackluster to this forum. I saw your post and within 1 hour a woman had already responded. As with so many responses on all the forums they start with..

"I am not XYZ, but I still have some advice!"

It sounds awful but that's why I didn't respond. It's almost like "Oh, the wrong people already responded"

We have twin girls and it's just amazing in the Parenting multiples forum people with 1 kid trying to give advice to us with 3 kids under 2 years old. I would say something nice like "It's appreciated" and all that, but it's really not.

I don't really know about the moderation thing. By reading the forum guidelines on the Dad's page, it makes sense what's trying to happen. I don't know how to implement it.

With 99% of members being female, it's an impossible task without that type of moderation I'd guess *shrug*

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rdl2k5
I guess I've gotten pretty lackluster to this forum. I saw your post and within 1 hour a woman had already responded. As with so many responses on all the forums they start with..

"I am not XYZ, but I still have some advice!"

It sounds awful but that's why I didn't respond. It's almost like "Oh, the wrong people already responded"

We have twin girls and it's just amazing in the Parenting multiples forum people with 1 kid trying to give advice to us with 3 kids under 2 years old. I would say something nice like "It's appreciated" and all that, but it's really not.

I don't really know about the moderation thing. By reading the forum guidelines on the Dad's page, it makes sense what's trying to happen. I don't know how to implement it.

With 99% of members being female, it's an impossible task without that type of moderation I'd guess *shrug*

Yep.
: I guess I just dont feel like I can post freely. I try and keep my nose out of the other boards that dont relate to me. Unless I have a question specifically for those people. I try to let people hear from the group they are targeting.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have different craziness because my job is pretty flexible but when I'm home it's 100% babies all the time. But that's not to complain per se, I mean my wife does it 24/7. Leave for work with babies crying. Help comes around noon for her, then I come home at 5 and it's pandemonium. Twins and a toddler is just crazy!

We are lucky to get about 2 hours per night after they go to bed sometimes. And sometimes that peace is with a baby with me and a baby being fed and trying to get them laid down.

Usually, we're just happy to be going to sleep at night. We have issues with co-sleeping due to Anna not being able to sleep at all while they're in the bed. Our toddler typically comes in in the middle of the night and relocates me to another bed in with the twins and they both go in early morning for a feeding.

So, I'm there with you! Just under a different set of circumstances. We are lucky because really we have really good kids, there are just SO MANY OF THEM! Still not 2, our toddler still has so many immediate needs all the time.

it'll all change eventually, but oh how married life changes!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sounds like a little bit of burnout moose. I had to reassess my projects around the house. I was getting ready to put a new roof on my garage/shed and had a friend come over to look the job over, but the sheathing was so badly rotted that I had to just cover it up w/tarp to seal it. Then the air conditioner broke and the cars been giving me trouble. Not to mention all of the other fun stuff that goes w/being a parent, employee, husband, etc.

So, I guess my point is, I'll get contractors in when my time is too limited(although I really hate paying for something I can do myself). I got someone to put the roof on for a reasonable price. The air cond probably needs a shot of puron (no longer uses freon) so that's no big deal. The car I'll fix myself.

I lived in Seattle in '97-'98. I really loved it. Lived downtown on Western Ave near the Pike Place Market. So, I know what you mean about limited time for outside projects, especially a roof. Good luck.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by papapoochie
I lived in Seattle in '97-'98. I really loved it. Lived downtown on Western Ave near the Pike Place Market. So, I know what you mean about limited time for outside projects, especially a roof. Good luck.
That's a fun area of town.

Things are backing down a bit now, I've wrapped up some projects and farmed out some others. I just need to not pile my plate so high.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I am quite new here and I didn't realise that women were not welcome to post on this forum, so apologies for posting. I didn't realise this was a Dad's only forum.I thought it was a forum where Dad's shared their views and anyone was allowed to share.I know there are plenty males on the other forums so I hadn't quite sussed it. I quickly realised this after reading rdl2k5's post which states that a woman replied to the op within an hour, er oops, and also that my irrelevant support was not wanted and indeed that rdl2k5 did not post because the 'wrong' people had already replied. Erm, A simple 'scuse me but this is the Dad's forum for Dad's only, ta' would've done. There is nothing derogatory or insulting in my post,just words of support, which I can't say the same for said poster who has quite ignorantly treated my genuine post of support as some sort of ..wrong?
: This is the first time I've encountered hostility on mdc and I have to admit I'm a bit dismayed. I woulda thought I would have to be really insulting to somebody(which I would not do anyway) to recieve such blatent ill-will. But hey I guess we live and learn.

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
awww... its okforthebest- ....

i too- am a woman- who has been here for years and never checked out the dads forum....lol- but the dudes..... thread topic caught my eye!!!!! lol.....

anyhow- off i go to womanland- i agree you guys should have some space of your own w/o a bunch of us jabbering your ear off! I would love it if my dh would start posting.... i bet he will now if it will truly be for just dads.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emilie
awww... its okforthebest- ....

i too- am a woman- who has been here for years and never checked out the dads forum....lol- but the dudes..... thread topic caught my eye!!!!! lol.....

anyhow- off i go to womanland- i agree you guys should have some space of your own w/o a bunch of us jabbering your ear off! I would love it if my dh would start posting.... i bet he will now if it will truly be for just dads.
Thanks Emilie! I swear I'm not trying to be a jerk.
I just want the guys to feel like they are free to post here. I 'm on here every day and the guys have been silent for a reason.

·
Registered
110 Posts
There is no hostility. Any feelings of that are your own and not prompted.

You are as welcome here as I am in the Single Parenting Forum. Nobody would crucify me if I posted there, but being a married guy, I'd be in the wrong place. About 90% of the forums here really "aren't for me" I frequent Parenting Multiples, Pets, Gentle Discipiline, Toddlers, and Parents as Partners. All appropriate because I have infant twins, a dog who I'm in to learning more about training, and a toddler who I want to make sure I understand age appropriate behavior.

It's not about exclusion, it's about inclusion of the appropriate target audience (which isn't happening) and maybe it can if posts are more in line with the focus.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts